Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-04-2003 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber

Help with volume fields?

Hi all,

I am trying to make particles stay inside of a cone emitter. I am reading the manual, but still having trouble. Here is the excerpt:

"Create the particles (or emitter) and the field whose volume you want the particles to stay inside.

Select the particles and select Fields > Radial > .

Set the volume shape of the radial field to be the same as for the field you created in step 1.

Turn on Volume Exclusion.

Set the radial field magnitude to a negative value.

Try a value which is about one-half the magnitude value of your first field, but is negative. For example, if the first field has magnitude 10 or -10, use a radial field magnitude of -5.

Parent the radial field to the first field, and reset the radial field's transform to be the identity.

This makes the radial field have the same volume as the original field. "

What is the first volume? So far I've only created a particle volume emitter with a cone shape. I want the particles to stay in that cone. I don't know what I'm supposed to parent to what. I understand how you create a sort of "reverse" volume field to push the particles in, but I'm apparently missing something.

Thanks for any help!

# 2 06-04-2003 , 01:14 AM
Your best bet or his would be to first try mikes tornado tutorial, as that is pretty much the same "volume" idea, and should lead you down the right path. (no pun intended)

Otherwise, I've included a 4.5 file that migh help youuser added image

Please check EVERY attribute to learn how I kept the particles from being thrown out of the volumeuser added image

if you need anything else, lemme nowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 06-04-2003 , 01:30 AM
Subscriber
thank you very much!

I'll try it as soon as I get home

# 4 06-04-2003 , 07:42 AM
ALSO!

There is no need to "connect" anything eitheruser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 06-04-2003 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
Ok,
I'm going to try the tornado tutorial again. I did it a while ago, but I'll do it again, and then check out your file.

thanks again!

# 6 13-04-2003 , 01:27 AM
Cooluser added image Lemme know how it worked for you...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 24-01-2007 , 10:52 AM

revival?

hello. I know this was AGES ago. But i too want to do exactly the same thing. Where is this illusive file and what is mike's tutorial tornado?