Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-12-2002 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber

Making objects to not be effeted by lights.

NOTE - this used to be a topic for fog lights, but I figured the problem out myself. To save space, I'm just going to use this thread for my next question.

I have a poly plane with a landscape image as the background for a scene. I have multiple directional lights positioned around a castle to iluminate it as well. The castle is lite perfectly, but the problem is that the landscape image is too bright. Is there any way to make the poly plane be only effected by one light or any tricks to make it darker?

Last edited by Darkware; 02-01-2003 at 12:13 AM.
# 2 06-01-2003 , 06:04 AM
SM Alumni
If you choose the poly plane you can go to Window/Relationship Editors/Light Linking/Object Centric and unlink lights from your poly plane, they will no longer affect the background. To do this simply click on the lights you don't want to affect the plane. I would approach it one of two ways, either unlink all lights from the ply plane, create a new one just for the plane and unlink it from your castle.....or create an imageplane from your camera and use your background picture there under Environment in the Attribute Editor. The imageplane will not be affected by those lights...you adjust the brightness right in the imageplane's attributes.

In the Light Linking window, lights affecting an object are grey-lined, lights that don't affect an object are clear. Once you click on an object or light you make the change in your scene, you don't need to hit enter user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 06-01-2003 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
Thank you very much, Darkon. I actually changed all the lighting from four dir. lights to one ambiant light and everything was lite perfectly. I really hadn't paid much attention to what each light was specifically used for up until now. Never-the-less, I now know how to use the Relationship Editor. Thanks.

# 4 06-01-2003 , 06:25 AM
One method would be to unlink all lights from the plane (optional) and then map the file texture's color to the material's color and incandescence (how the hell does one pronounce that? user added image)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 06-01-2003 , 12:46 PM
Correction to previous: Don't map the file to the color. Map it only to the incandescence and set the color black.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 07-01-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
or you could use a different type of light, like point light from a distance for the sun

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com