Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-10-2003 , 10:22 AM
Subscriber

Rendering - Creating a camera facing shader

I'm trying to create a nice planet with good atmosphere. I've made three concentric spheres, the smallest a planet skin, the next two slightly bigger than the last and i intend them to have camera facing shaders, so that the atmosphere is thickest around teh edges. I had managed this once in 4.0 but forgot how I did it. I'm in 5 now and a bit fuzzy on the use of render nodes for this. Any ideas?

Thanks..

user added image

# 2 19-10-2003 , 10:29 AM
You could use the Sampler Info node for this. Use it's facing ratio to control a Ramp's V coordinate and then the Ramp's color to control the shader's Transparency. Can't check right now but you may need to add a Set Range node between the Sampler Info and the Ramp to scale the facing ratio to 0 - 1 (it's -1 to 1 by default if i remember correct).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 19-10-2003 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber

durr

found it...

Map Transparency to a Sampler Info node, using Facing Ration connected to Transparency-RGB.

thx anyway

user added image

# 4 19-10-2003 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
wow, yours is a better solution, am checking it out. thanks!