Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-01-2006 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber

How do you tutorial builders get your .avi's so tiny?

Hi everybody,

I have watched a number of the really wonderful tutorials from Simply Maya and I have noticed that most of larger tuts, that are .avi files, average around the 80 MB range.

Some of these avi's that run for 40 or so minutes.

I created a scene. It is a measly 7 second animation with exactly 177 frames.

I batch rendered the scene with production quality to .jpeg files with a 640x480 size

(i've since learned reading a couple of threads today that that is not the preferred way to go ... supposed to use a different file other than jpeg for better results like .tga)

I then used Jasc's Animation Pro to take the jpegs and create an avi file. Even with compression the file was over 150 MB

What the heck are you guys using to get such long videos with such small footprints on size?

And,... if I were to use .tga as the rendering option that would even create an even larger file correct? I'm stumped and I don't get it.

Thanks

wizzie

PS (with no 24/7 Internet Access it may take a week to say thanks to anyone user added image

# 2 14-01-2006 , 12:10 PM
Its all to do with the compression that you use, i use after effects and that reduces the total file size when compared to an avi file form maya.

If you render as a series of tga's then ytou need to converet them to a movie, video mach does a good job (plus its free on a trial) the output is quite small too.

# 3 14-01-2006 , 12:43 PM
xvid is a good opensource codec :bow:

# 4 15-01-2006 , 10:29 AM

vd