Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-01-2010 , 11:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Piracy

Hey Guys and gals

I just deleted that thread that the guy was complaining about the avi's and that it was clear he wasnt paying for SM stuff.

Many thanks for giving him a hard time, but also can we remember to report the posts so we can get rid of crap like that off the site asap.

many thanks again

Jay

# 2 27-01-2010 , 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
I never even thought about that, to be honest I was a little too baffled by the crappy, entitled attitude.

- Genny
# 3 27-01-2010 , 07:34 PM
The thin red line
I think people were not clear if he had downloaded free stuff or not, any way I think the site can do without his attitude..........dave

# 4 27-01-2010 , 09:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well whoever it was, he was clearly a freeloading twat, with no disregard for anyone but himself.

But please keep an eye out for people like it, they are out there

thanks again
Jay

# 5 27-01-2010 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
You know what I thought I had reported it - the button on the bottom yerr then it came up with some options and then you had to click the report button again - It must not have worked. - But yerrr what a dick - complaining about something easily fixed but saying he was nicking stuff

# 6 03-02-2010 , 05:24 AM
Technical Director
Heh. I've gotten PM's about this stuff, as well as asking for license keys...

Why does everyone think that because things are on the internet, that they are somehow entitled to them?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 03-02-2010 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NextDesign
Heh. I've gotten PM's about this stuff, as well as asking for license keys...

Why does everyone think that because things are on the internet, that they are somehow entitled to them?

Unfortunately the youngest generation of hellions has become the "Me" generation, which feels they are all entitled to everything for free, because they are mostly lazy snots who feel that lifting a finger to earn their keep is beneath their self deified facades. ...Or in layman's terms, Those whom you refer are all snot nosed sniveling louse's.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 8 03-02-2010 , 05:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
# 9 04-02-2010 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
i don't think i'll ever understand young people...

they act as if stealing is nothing wrong...

although, statistically people are more likely to buy something if they pirate it than if they dont
although the people who dont are probably those kids who think it's ok to steal

these people who want everything now, never think ahead, think everyone in the world is black and white, and will shrug things off with a 'it's not my problem' attitude, and complain when someone tells them to turn their music down or tells them not to do something... i'll never understand

never.

there is such thing as too selfish...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 10 07-02-2010 , 06:30 AM
Technical Director

Originally posted by legendofzombi
Unfortunately the youngest generation of hellions has become the "Me" generation

Hey I bought my first copy of Maya when I was 14! user added image

But it's strange, as it's not only the younger generation. People over 30 now pirate movies, cds, etc. It's not just an age thing.

# 11 07-02-2010 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
Sadly true.
I know statistically people are more likely to purchase something if they first download it, which in its self woudl be ok i guess, As long as the world stayed Honest with it, and did not decide to take the free way.

I do however feel that the presence of electronic media does have one true and valid warrant.
If a person has paid good funds, to purchase a product, They do have i believe the right to make a back up copy of it for themselves to keep, All storage media has its shelf life, from old school vhs tapes, to new Dvd's they will one day stop playing. So once more though, you run into the issue of honesty, which seems to by and large be a way gone part of societal evolution this day and age.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 12 08-02-2010 , 12:35 AM
EduSciVis-er
Just wait till everyone has 3D printers... then hardware and physical items will get pirated... what fun times we live in.

# 13 08-02-2010 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber
...If i can pirate a 3d copy of Say.....Mila Jovavich, or Kate BEckensale, or something.....
Anatomically correct...
..out of ur3, or something quite similar..
you better believe i will...
but, I still would not have an electronic copy of somethign which i have not paid for, be it hard ware or software.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 14 08-02-2010 , 05:39 AM
Technical Director

Originally posted by legendofzombi
but, I still would not have an electronic copy of somethign which i have not paid for, be it hard ware or software.

Yet you're fine with anything soft and squishy? :p

Truly, if that ever comes to be, I don't think people would ever leave their homes. Reminds me of that Futurama episode with Lucy Liu...

# 15 08-02-2010 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber
ok, ok...seriously..
Everyone here..
You get a 3d printer, can print off anything you want...
and you are a modeler, and can model anything you need.
Would you not model yourself the woman you want printed off in 3d?!?!?...I ...well actually i woudn't,
i'd steal Jay's heroine from Outlaws and print her off..
Non The less!

Ohh yea, and i'd also print me off a copy of Sigorney's Avatar..I don't care if she is 10 foot 12 inches tall!...I'd still smurf her blue ass behind the barn!

G-Man.

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!