Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 31-05-2011 , 02:54 PM
Lifetime Member

computer desk

been constantly adding/removing/tweaking this scene, finally calling it finished for now.....
as it's my 1st model completed this far I am quite happy with it
once I learn more about Maya will probably go back and clutter up the desk with keyboard,mouse,biometric fingerprint scanner, and NAS......
but original concept was to just get the desk modeled, which I did user added image
everything on this desk is wood with the exception of the door's touch latches (not modeled)
gonna be fun building in real life user added image

also attached a close up of monitor stand showing the back bracing/mount,
stand slides on from back of countertop and locks into place with the braces.

comments and crits welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 31-05-2011 , 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Model and wood texture looks pretty good. Only two things bother me with these renders, they seem kind of desaturated and the monitors are on but they're giving off no illumination. You could try mapping the texture to the incandescence channel or if you're using mia materials, the additional color channel. Decaying area lights in front of the screens would enhance the shadowing and lighting accuracy as well. My first finished model didn't look this good so grats on that user added image

- Genny
# 3 02-06-2011 , 03:18 PM
Lifetime Member
thanks for the comments GecT user added image
so I applied the texture of monitor screens to incandescent channel,
definitely brightened them up a lot, but now they also seem too bright
and as there is a texture applied I see no options to reduce the brightness as they now seem "washed out"

for the lights with the decay, I am presuming? you mean angled away from the screens to simulate the light thrown off to desk and nearby objects?
I had originally tried lights pointing to the monitors to brighten up but that didn't work...
A ton of learning in this - modeling tools, texturing,uv'ing, and mental ray rendering
more than once I felt I was on overload

will definitely come back to this in future when I have more experience/knowledge
to add bits-n-bobs into scene, and try to get a better render
the lighting tutorials really confused me and I think I spent as much time tweaking lights/render as I did in all of the modeling and uv'ing , but I definitely won't give up user added image

# 4 02-06-2011 , 04:06 PM
SM Tea Boy
I like the wood but i'm in agreement with Gen. No illumination from the monitors lets it down a bit. Come back to it at a later date sometimes you just need a break user added image

-Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 02-06-2011 , 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah you can always revisit the project some other time, it'll be like seeing someone you used to date like "Omg if I knew then what I know now". But jokes aside, you can run the texture through a ramp texture with a single color slot and plug that into the incandescence and tweak the color gain on the ramp to control the brightness. And about the lights, yes, away from the screen to throw light onto the desk and such.

- Genny
# 6 04-06-2011 , 04:35 PM
Lifetime Member

you can run the texture through a ramp texture with a single color slot and plug that into the incandescence and tweak the color gain on the ramp to control the brightness

definitely beyond my skill level ATM, added to list of things to read about and learn
good thing I don't have any hair to pull out as this caused more than enough frustrations, but a fun time anyway user added image

thanks for the comments/suggestion David & GecT