Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-06-2003 , 01:28 AM

Simple straight lines?

Anyone know how to draw simple straight lines with hard corners without messing around with curve points at all?

# 2 15-06-2003 , 01:45 AM
The Maya Mountain
You can double click on the CV Curve tool and choose a Linear curve degree for hard corners.

# 3 15-06-2003 , 01:47 AM

what if...

Excellent!

However, what if I want to mix hard worners, and curved corners on the same line?

# 4 15-06-2003 , 03:36 AM
The Maya Mountain
If I'm not mistaken, with the tool options window open, you can switch as you are creating it. I'm not sure about that though. There is also a curve editing tool whose name escapes me that can be accessed through the Edit Curves menu that can adjust the curvature of different parts of the curve.

# 5 15-06-2003 , 05:33 AM
You can also click the same point more than once to "sharpen" a point.

Tho that could mess with parameterization I think...maybe not...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 15-06-2003 , 11:48 AM
Also UV placement will get f*cked up. You get a distortion near the corner. If you can overcome this obstacle on texturing you could have it done.

As far as I know, when dealing with 3rd degree curves, you won´t have a chance at good corners unless you click three times (point-snap) on the same point. It is a problemn inherent to Nurbs curves.

Another approach might be to stitch together two patches (One made of 3rd degree curves .. with the corner´s one made in 1 degree ones.) Be sure to follow the rules for Nurbs patching somewhere around the Birail posts in the Nurbs forum.