Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-02-2011 , 08:04 AM

Education

Hello everyone, i've got a question about my education. I'm currently in year 3 of highschool, so i'm gonna have to start thinking about university. Could anyone help me with choosing a suitable school in central europe? I know that there's probably no school that would directly teach me everything I need to know about 3d graphics and give me a batchelors degree at the end (althought that would be epic), but I'd just like to go to a school that would teach me as many things I could use in my career later as a 3d graphic designer. Thanks!

edit: Oh and needs to be in english user added image.

Last edited by Aurorap; 10-02-2011 at 08:11 AM.
# 2 10-02-2011 , 08:25 AM
So far i've found 2 school that seem to be suitable for my needs in my country( by the way i'm in Slovenia):

Academy of fine arts and design
https://www.aluo.uni-lj.si/index_en.php

Academy of design
https://vsd.si/eng/academy_of_design.php

What do you guys think?

Also I read on this forum that if you want a batchelor's degree, then as a 3D artist, a fine arts degree would help you the most. Is this true? Then the Academy of fine arts and design would be the most suitable for me?

# 3 10-02-2011 , 10:41 AM
The Nurb Herd

# 4 11-02-2011 , 08:25 AM
But surely the fine arts course helped you to get better skills in drawing and painting, maybe sculpting? Also wouldn't potential employers notice you easier now that you're a batchelor?

# 5 11-02-2011 , 10:57 AM
Subscriber
My bachelor degree got me nothing so far - and I`m going 2day to go look at a training course at the same place honestdom went for 30 weeks after spending 5 years at uni. (escape studios - uk)

Doing fine art may help you as a concept artiest or maybe as a texture artiest but as a animator or modeller it will mean very little.

# 6 11-02-2011 , 11:59 AM
The Nurb Herd

But surely the fine arts course helped you to get better skills in drawing and painting, maybe sculpting? Also wouldn't potential employers notice you easier now that you're a batchelor?

actually my drawing and painting skills were better before my fine art course. I got a scholarship at school for drawing and painting. I ended up going to art college and doing contemporary art so didn't really do any painting for 4 years. If you want to work in 3D, I don't think any one cares if you have been to university or not. The only thing you get from uni (apart from education) are connections and free time to work on a reel.

It wasn't until 5 years after i graduated that i found out about 3D. That is why i did a short course in it. Therefore it may be different for you.

The only thing my fine art degree got me was a work visa for Japan. user added image

# 7 12-02-2011 , 11:41 AM
Then probably the academy of design would be more suited for me? They'll teach me 2d animation and working with photoshop and illustrator there, but surely no 3D stuff...

# 8 12-02-2011 , 12:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
what is it that you want to do?

# 9 12-02-2011 , 12:17 PM
Subscriber
I have a Bsc in Computer Animation and Special Effects, and the university I attended offered both BA and BSc courses in relation to 3D but I found that BSc offered a more technical approach to elements i.e. they will touch on things like Mel Scripting, maybe advanced rigging, topics such as this; whereas the BA did not but like you say did involve more artistic modules. I chose the BSc because to be honest I cant draw for shit (in the grand scale of things) but I didn't want to be a concept artist and for the elements that interested me it wasn't a huge contributing factor (although thats not to say it wouldn't have come in handy form time to time).

I have friends who create some fantastic things with a graphics tablet, ZBrush and Maya, so if you wanted to further your knowledge with skills that employers do look for then I would concentrate on technical aspects for educational purposes combined with artistic aspects you do in your own time to strengthen your knowledge base.

What you will find with most universities (and speaking with graduates) is that uni's teach you enough to pass the course and if you want the top grades be prepared to put in plenty of work out of university hours. A degree in itself will not get you a job, it gets your foot in the door so ensure your work reinforces or even exceeds the qualifications you have on paper.

# 10 13-02-2011 , 10:15 AM
@honestdom: I want to work with anything released to 3D graphics, preferrably in the film industry user added image

@ash: Thanks for the info user added image.. And yeah I know that it's all on your skills if you get the job or not, but if you don't have the degree, then it's mutch harder to even get an interview rite?