Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 08-08-2004 , 01:14 AM

help plz, big headache problem

wow i'm starting to get a headache from this. i'm making a dragon for the dragon contest and i'm kinda noob. so my problem is that i decided to extend the top part of the head where the horns r into making the actual face (i'm making a styracosaurus). it was currently a nurb so i convereted into subdiv then from subdiv to polygon (so its smoother, is this correct?). now i have no idea how to make it all even cuz its with folds and shit here look at screeny.

the top part is messed up too. so ya i got a huge ass headache from this i keep changing it cuz i'm not happy wit it and now i can't even fix it :s so if any1 is kind enough to tell me a method of fixing it EVEN IF IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME its okay wit me, i'm not expecting an easy solution.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-08-2004 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber
Have you looked at Kurt's free dog tutorial here at SM. That'll explain everything you need to know.

# 3 08-08-2004 , 08:15 AM
Subscriber
ok I've ran into a lot of these types of problems before. What I did to get rid of that dent/slope/concave whatever you call it area was I converted to polies and carefully pulled the vertices out again then converted it back to SubD to smoothe it out a little. What I did for the areas was I converted to sub D then back to polies with more levels or whatever and back to sub D again. Then i changed the the sub D to ply option to lower polies and it fixed it. I'm sure there were tons of extra steps in there that wasnt necessary, but hey i did it? lol

And i feel like messaging sarah. user added image

# 4 08-08-2004 , 02:51 PM
"convereted to subdivs to smooth out" - how exactly do u smooth out wit subdivs??

"What I did for the areas was I converted to sub D then back to polies with more levels or whatever and back to sub D again."- i'm kinda noob so how exactly can i change more levels?

"Then i changed the the sub D to ply option to lower polies and it fixed it" - how do u lower polys?

btw thx for taking the time to right this, and i'll try wat u said as best as i can lol even though some of the stuff i did not understand clearly.

haha every time i forget to crop the images to cut out the msn messages lol

# 5 08-08-2004 , 02:52 PM
btw sometimes when i convert nurb to poly the shape becomes very sharp ended and very rough. is it a good idea to convert nurb to subdiv then subdiv to poly?

# 6 08-08-2004 , 03:36 PM
damn i tried this part "What I did for the areas was I converted to sub D then back to polies with more levels or whatever and back to sub D again. Then i changed the the sub D to ply option to lower polies and it fixed it. I'm sure there were tons of extra steps in there that wasnt necessary, but hey i did it? lol"

and it didn't really look any different :S i guess i'm gonna try to take each vertice one by one lol. is there any way to lower their number so its easier or is that not a good idea?

# 7 09-08-2004 , 03:43 AM
any more ideas of how to do it?

# 8 09-08-2004 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
I already mentioned looking at the dog tutorial by Kurt or the dragon head. He uses nurbs then polys to subd's and back and forth from poly to SubD. I wouldn't have mentioned it if i didn't think it was going to help you.

# 9 09-08-2004 , 07:13 PM
Lifetime Member
ok if you want to get rid of the hard edges, first select your geometry and then go to edit polygons and at the bottom in the normals menu click the box next to soften/harden and then click All Soft in the window that opens and apply.
As for the indents in the model the only way to remove those it to pull the vertices out to get the shape you want.

# 10 09-08-2004 , 09:42 PM
oh okay thx