Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-04-2007 , 02:23 AM

mAYA 8.5 OR 8 INTO 7.0

OK... I STARTED DOING SOME MODELING OF A BUILDINGS DESIGN IN MY HOUSE, NOE IS PRACTICALLY COMPLETE DONE , HOWEVER RENDERING IS ANOTHER STEP WHICH WILL TAKE PROBABLY A DAY OR SO ... THE THING IS I NEED A BETTER COMPUTER AND THE PROBLEM IS THAT I'VE MODELED MY DESIGN IN MAYA 8 AND 8.5 BUT AT UNI THEY HAVE 7 .... SO WHEN I TRY TO OPEN ON 7 IT COME WITH A ERROR SCRIPT ...
DOES ANYONE KNOWS HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM

MANY THANKS

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
# 2 08-04-2007 , 02:36 AM
Theres no realy way round it as maya isnt backwards compatable, I think you have to save your scene as a .ma file then open it in notepad (or any text editor, not a word processing app though) then change where it has 8.0 or 8.5 into the version that they have at uni.

I think that there might be a converter that someone made knocking arround, probably worth a google.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-04-2007 , 02:42 AM
dont you have to save it in acii?

# 4 08-04-2007 , 02:44 AM
thats the .ma file (maya asci) as far as I know.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 08-04-2007 , 02:51 AM
MANY THANKS WORKED REALLY WELL !!!

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
# 6 08-04-2007 , 05:05 AM

Originally posted by gster123
thats the .ma file (maya asci) as far as I know.

youre right. the other format is .mb

# 7 08-04-2007 , 05:17 AM
Senior Software Developer
Remeber when you are going backwards you may enounter issues in the older versions esp. if there is something done in 8 or 8.5 that does not exist in 7 (new tools/features). Deleteing the history may be the way to stop that, but there is no guarantee, you may still encounter issues along the way.

Autodesk and Alias do not support doing this as it is not recommended. The only other way can see it working is to export the file as an fbx file and import it into 7. This would be the recommendation I would give to anyone swapping from app to app.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 08-04-2007 , 07:40 AM
Jr.Who
Maybe it got a error because your caps lock was broken. user added image