Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-05-2007 , 04:07 PM

Joining hand to wrist

Hi guys,

looking for some help. I have modelled the hand from the Maya tutorial and I am trying to attach it to a wrist (or a simple square shape in this case). I've tried every option in Maya to get them to join, but I can't get them to do anything. I know there must be an easy way to do this, but I haven't a clue.

I'll attach a picture so you can see what I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-05-2007 , 04:54 PM
Before you can join any components, such as vertices and edges, you need to combine seperate objects into one object.

Under the Polygons menu, choose Combine. Now you should be able to merge vertices.

# 3 13-05-2007 , 04:56 PM
If I select them both and do the combine, it gives this error:

Error: Invalid selection : polyUnite needs at least 2 polygonal objects. //

# 4 13-05-2007 , 05:00 PM
The error message says it all; you can only combine polygonal objects.

You will have to convert any non-poly geometry to polys via the Modify -> Convert menu.

# 5 13-05-2007 , 05:22 PM
Ah, ok. I can now get the edges to sew - thanks for the help! Seems so simple now... :headbang:

# 6 13-05-2007 , 07:28 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
looking at your screenshot, i think you should use the split polygon tool on the cubethingy to match the number of vertices before you combine.