Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 26-06-2010 , 11:09 PM
rm3d

uv mapping help

hi guys and girls, need help with texturing. i was wondering if there are any techniques to solving the stretched image highlighted in the red circle. the object itself has a planar map projection, and is a polygon with a smoothed mesh!

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 27-06-2010 , 01:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi mate,

I did a quick copy and didnt have any trouble at all? I unfortunately deleted the job..bahahahah..early morning hangover!

Check your UV's are nice and lined up. I did a quick plane then mapped and used the scale and move to line them up. I pick one line then when finish 'shift >' etc etc to move them around.

thats all I can think of

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 27-06-2010 , 11:54 AM
rm3d
ohh damn that looks good, thanks i shall try scaling it abit more then, maybe my problem is theres more than one image on the plane

# 4 27-06-2010 , 12:19 PM
Lifetime Member
what do you mean more than 1 image on the plane mate???

cheers bullet

Edit: mine has no thickness...but I could still get the same result

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 27-06-2010 , 12:45 PM
Lifetime Member
Let me know how you go mate??

When you UV I have found unfolding isnt always cool and I found a way to map...takes time but less mucking aroung using/deselecting the expand key on UV's

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 6 27-06-2010 , 09:51 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah you need to pull the uvs about to get them to work properly. Its not just a case of 'BANG' and the tool does it. Theres a bit of work involved too. Just follow what Bullet has said and it will work out just right.

Jay

# 7 27-06-2010 , 11:36 PM
rm3d
yea once i delved abit deeper i started pulling the UVs about and sorted out the problem of the stretching user added image , but i just need to smooth out all the UVs when i can be bothered to take the time to do so.

Bullet what i meant with more than one image on the plane is that the image of the bank note is repeated. im pretty useless at UV mapping i figure this a good learning curve to figuring it out, now i know to pull them about user added image

# 8 27-06-2010 , 11:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Mate good on ya for havin a crack..well done. Yeh Im new to mapping but it really is a matter of thinking how you go about it. It has a workflow just like the modelling part mate...painful stuff.

I worked (by my little self) a little trick to help the mapping on square/rectangular objects to pull them around in lines (works for circles too).

I posted it in here somewhere?? LOL

Pick ONE line of UV's on the right side of the rectangle..top to bottom then move them to the right a fair bit..scale to line them up. Then use the expand (shift>) keys and you will get the 2nd row highlighted..use 'ctrl' key to DESELECT the first line..move and scale again..just keep repeating the steps until they are straight vert or horiz works either way.

Its a good trick as well when you have UV's really close together...picking a line somewhere and doing the above..saves doing it one by one man!!!

Well done

cheers bullet

P.S if the note has thickness split it horizontally then assign colours to each side..then you can map them OR delete one side..map..duplicate model and duplicate UV..job done

bullet1968