Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-12-2012 , 07:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Man of Steel, trailer 2

# 2 11-12-2012 , 09:01 PM
I like the looks of this version

How are you getting your you tune links to show a preview image? My links just appear as hyperlink text?!?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.
# 3 11-12-2012 , 09:08 PM
I just copy the text from the browser

Looks pretty cool doesnt it!!

Jay

# 4 11-12-2012 , 09:13 PM
It certainly does look good. There are a lot of interesting looking scifi features in the works for 2013.

It's odd about the you tube link thing. Copying the you tube page link is exactly what I have been doing and all my links always appear as just text. I think I recall them being a video preview in the past so I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. Meh, It's no big deal.

-Rick

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 11-12-2012 , 09:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hit quote in Jay's post to see the formatting for the url tag. I added the embedded video in your after earth thread.

# 6 11-12-2012 , 10:20 PM
SM Tea Boy
looks pretty cool to me lots of explosions which can't be bad

another one for the two watch list
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 11-12-2012 , 11:14 PM
19 year Veteran
Interesting take on superman. I wonder what it would look like if Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve would have done Superman today.

# 8 12-12-2012 , 04:40 PM
Probably completely different. Everyone hangs onto the originals. same as Star Wars....kind of. I just hope its better than the last one, Superman was so girly in that

Lest ye not forget Chris Nolan has a hand in this so I'd be prepared for something more 'real world' acceptabilty.

J

# 9 12-12-2012 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber
I'm very keen to see this one.
Big fan of James Cavill and I think he could pull it off well. At first i didn't like the casting decision because he isn't built like i picture superman but more like I'd picture Dr Who. It has grown on me though and i think not having seen some trailers he'll do a great job.
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 10 12-12-2012 , 07:05 PM
I think Cavill was good casting. I recall seeing him in immortals, he has that Superman quality which to me is understated and defined only by his actions. He has the square jaw too which is essential text book must for the man of steel. Look forward to this and hope it finally gives us the definive version for todays audience as Bale is for Batman.

Jay

# 11 15-12-2012 , 07:29 PM
I'm an old guy and I read Superman Comics back in the 50's and had some given to me from the 40's as well.

No, I didn't save them (very few did back in those days) or else I'd be a lot richer now.

Superman has lost his way, at least with these new franchises.

Lets take a look at the original vs the thinking today.

Krypton: Was a highly advanced technological place. With monorails, sky scrapers, flying vehicles etc. Kind of like what we saw on the show Caprica. IT WAS NOT AN ICE PLANET AT ALL!

Superman the character: He was TALL, had a giant physique think Ahhhnold (Conan) at HIS BEST and then add a little more muscles and definition. Superman had serious biceps and a really defined six pack. We NEVER saw Superman with a beard. Also, as much as I liked all of the movies NONE of the actors came close to what Superman should have looked like. Back in the sixties there was an actor Steve Reeves that played Hercules. He was about the closest I've seen for the part.

Superman's Suit. This was stitched from thread of his blankets from the rocket ship by his mother. His heat vision cut the threads. These new molded almost rubberized plastic suits are, at least to me, a real departure. It's TOO Batman! The colors are too dark as well.

Superman's Fortress Of Solitude: This was a structure at the north pole or near there that was a giant building with a LOL giant KEY that looked like an arrow! It was NOT some crystal that grew (via some magical DNA growth mechanism) out of the snow that mimicked the bogus "Ice" home of the new Krypton.

Lana Lang: Was a redhead. She was his friend, they never hooked up.

Lois Lane: They didn't meet until he became a Man and started working for the Planet.

Aside from that, the movie looks cool because I LOVE SciFi and even with the great liberties taken over the years for morphing the Stan of Meel er the Man of Steel I still enjoy each and every treatment.

I, do however take exception to the original series (that we all thought was soooooo cool and great) with George Reeves. I took a look at a few episodes on Youtube about two years ago and Holy Cow! Jeepers Mr. Kent, those were some really terrible productions. Over acted, poor writing, poor execution and bad directing. No offense to George, he if I remember correctly was a good guy.

Hey the same holds true for the Man From Uncle w/Robert Vaughn. We thought those were super ... they were not. Does this mean that I think everything from the 50's was a joke. NOPE. Twentieth Century Fox released "The Day The Earth Stood Still" the year I was born. "The Thing" was another classic and five years later the classic "Forbidden Planet" was released.

I always found it somewhat incredible that Kryptonite ever made it to Earth. Superman's supposed to be from someplace far, far away... Another Galaxy? Another Star system? Even so the closest Start is 6.8 trillion miles away or about 4.something LIGHT YEARS. It is possible to believe that the science that Jorel had at his disposal could produce faster than light rocket (although, in the comics, it looked like a German V1 LOL - not hardly capable of FTL but, the fact that LOTS of the parts of the exploding Krypton made it to Earth from that far away is truly Science Fiction.

Peace.

Please take a moment of silence and prayer for all of those slain in the massacre that left 26 Children and Adults dead at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown Connecticut.

# 12 15-12-2012 , 08:26 PM
All very valid points, I am probably a fair younger than yourself, but I am familiar with the lore of Superman and am familiar too with the old George Reeves serial as well and the comics, moreso of Batman to be honest as I grew up with the artwork of Neal Adams back in the 70's.

I think in all fairness to the film maker today, its a hell of a job to convince the audience that this stuff could be real...to take them away from their everyday lives and catapault them into a fantastical yet believable world.

There are reasons that things such as the suit have become darker...they have become less retro and have moved with the times...and so they should. I think all the Superhero suits from Dc to Marvel have done a pretty good job with those. Had they kept to the comics I think the audience wouldnt be as sold on them due to the campyness of the pants over the tights etc and the colors are sooo garish its just wrong and does make it look dated. Even stuff like X-Men is more credible, the Wolverine Suit in the comics is a yellow Spandex number with a mask that resembles a chinese lantern -it just wouldnt sell as a film...

As for the films, Superman Returns was generally an okay movie, but nothing to wow the fans, nothing to make you want to watch that again..it was too lovey dovey, and anything other than Superman the Movie and Superman 2 was a complete fail, I heard the late Christopher Reeve even funded Superman: The Quest for Peace himself because he didnt want the franchise to fade, unfortunately it did otherwise.

The German V1 rocket for baby Kal -El looked out of place to me in the original comics..that was too familiar and too earthbound. So anything Alien to me is welcome in that universe, as long as its credible. The strange spikey number from Superman the movie, works for me...its technology beyond ours so travelling at lightspeeds is fine (however its powered), it doesnt need aerodynamics, theres no air in space afterall. The whole technology of krypton too as a type of Ice world worked for me. If you look at technolgy today its becoming so refined, and simple to look at all you need to do is hit a button and off you go -its all getting more and more contemporary, so the cleanliness of the ice pillars is that style, highly advanced tech hidden away in a contemporay way, think ipods...

I figure Chris Nolan and David S Goyer will do it credit and give it a new lease of life with this new outing, its probably half the reason DC have got them on it after the epic reprisal of Batman over the last 8 years, one can only hope their magic works on Superman.

Supermans Physique, yes I totally agree, he needs that look, not too Ahhhnold but definately more in that direction, Looks like Henry Cavill is pretty bulked up in this....

The Superman with a beard thing...yeah...I'm trying to get my head around it too, how would he shave?? Krytonian Razor blades packed up for him in a little vanity bag by mum Lara?? There must be an answer to it..we'll have to wait.

Beard of Steel!!!

Jay