Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-02-2004 , 02:23 PM

Lancia 037 Rally

Hi, Not only is this my first post, but it's also my first attampt at 3D modelling.

I have built only half this Lancia, and duplicated the other side for these screenshots, so please excuse any centrelines that you may see. I haven't made the rear lights yet, so I put some cylinders in there to help me visualise.
Also, I'm planning to build a fully populated engine bay, which is why you can see the petrol tubes through the rear window.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by michael kelly; 06-02-2004 at 02:51 PM.
# 2 06-02-2004 , 02:36 PM

Front View

A very big thank you goes out to Deathbrain for his wonderful tutorials. I completed the wheel and tyre lessons, and this gave me a great insight into nurbs modelling.

I also used the fantastic Subaru tutorial on gmask.com to help me
get started

A major hurdle I have now come across is texturing, as you can see by the headlight detail on this pic, there's a few miles to go before I'm educated enough to texturise my model perfectly. If anyone out there has a headlight they can send me, I would be very grateful, as this would help me learn quicker.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by michael kelly; 06-02-2004 at 02:46 PM.
# 3 06-02-2004 , 03:05 PM
is it your first model in Maya or in 3d in general? I find it a little hard to believe that this is your first model EVER... but ok if it is then well done it's looking failry good so far.

I'm not overly familar with this car, but from what I can see it looks like you've got the basic shape pretty well done. The bump on the bonnet looks a little wrong, maye try and sort out the sides a bit more so that it's got a slightly harder edge to it.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 06-02-2004 , 03:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looks like you've got a nice shape started. user added image Looking forward to more.

# 5 06-02-2004 , 03:29 PM

Not exactly the first model

Well, I DID do the egg cup in the Maya tutorials, and Deathbrain's wheel and tyre tutorial, but this is my first attempt at flying solo.

I've attached a picture of a Lancia 037 Stradale, but body variances were widespread. The bump is bigger on my model, as per the race cars. (spare wheel compartment) but it should be a lump rather than my Ford Capri styled slope-up.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-02-2004 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
Wow - a real influx of really-good-newbies today! I'm too ashamed to even call myself a newbie.

That's a good model!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 7 06-02-2004 , 03:43 PM
lol @ huxley you can be an uber-noob then if you want user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 06-02-2004 , 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
is it your first model in Maya or in 3d in general? I find it a little hard to believe that this is your first model EVER...

Okay, let's not start another one of these threads. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 9 06-02-2004 , 07:19 PM
Obviously, being a newbie, I don't know what type of thread you mean, lol.

Going off Pure_morning's observations, I've now remodelled the bonnet bulge, and front corner into a more accurate shape, I won't post a picture, as you'll all start getting bored real quick!

By the way, has anyone got a realistic round headlight I can borrow.

Also, is there such a thing as an independent shader program, where you can use wizards or something and also see realtime results when changing shader parameters? Probably not eh!

# 10 07-02-2004 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
The IPR render in maya can give you some rather realtime updates on some of your shading and lighting changes.