Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-01-2005 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber

my attempt at a character

This is actually a character that I want to make for a story that I have somewhat developed.
I started by using cylinders and practically played with the verticies....anywho...i merged the vertecies and the edges then combined but....i still get this edge coming up,.......how can i fix this??

user added image

thanks again!!

# 2 18-01-2005 , 06:02 AM
The Maya Mountain
if it's combined and merged, soften the edges under Edit Polygons > Normals > Soften/Harden Edges. In the options set it to soften and apply.

# 3 18-01-2005 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
well i did as you said.....but i still get the same result
I went back and separated the two parts, snaped all the vertecies of the middle (where they unite), did combine, merged the edges.......am I doing something wrong?
I figured....oh maybe since its not smoothed.....but...nope same result.
Thanks again!! user added image

# 4 18-01-2005 , 03:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
only other thing I can think of is that one side's normals are reversed.

# 5 18-01-2005 , 10:17 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mike is right, check normals. Go to Edit Polys>Normals>Reverse>Reverse and Propagate (if the whole mesh is selected) then redo harden/soften edges, Delete history.

I have been doing Maya for a while and I still fall for this one, DOH!!

_J

# 6 19-01-2005 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
user added image user added image user added image :
omg thank you guys so much!!!!!!
wow you guys are the bomb. I am definately going to keep posting my wip....crits and suggestions from you guys are top notch.
Again thank you sooooooooo much!!! user added image user added image
by the way....this is how i have done so far.....any crits or suggestions are more than welcome...i am a sponge waiting to absord everything you people have to offer.

user added image
user added image

Last edited by DanaScully; 20-01-2005 at 01:28 AM.
# 7 21-01-2005 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
UPDATE
So i finally got around to working on my character....i attempted to do the torso....its late though so this is as much as i could get done for tonight.....in the next few days i will hopefully be molding in the details...i jsut wanted to have a "rough" to work with. Also next to her you can see her weapon.....i actually did this during class and thought it came out pretty good.
Anywho......comments and suggestions more than welcome.....thanks a lot!!

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 8 25-01-2005 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
well here is a small update....she now has arms and I have been tweaking here and there.
these are some update pics.
THe one at the bottom however is a screenshot of a problem I am having.
I made her totally out of polys but now I want to convert her to sub-ds
When i select the body and try to convert to sub-ds I get this error "Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): One or more vertices is nonmanifold.
// Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface.
// To clean up nonmanifold vertices, use Polygons->Cleanup with the nonmanifold option. //"
So when I do that Cleanup....it gets like the pic below.
Then I convert to sub-ds to se what happens and I get holes by some of the verticies. What am I doing wrong?? (i hope someone can help me please)
C&C PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 9 25-01-2005 , 05:31 AM
The Maya Mountain
Not sure about the SubD thing as I don't tend to use them.

As for the model, proportions look close, but there's not much definition of form in the geometry and there's a good bit of banding around the torso. If you're not, I'd recomend using references.

Keep it up!

# 10 25-01-2005 , 11:39 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Convert the model back to base level 0. Then run Cleanup, manifold options on etc. Maya should pin point the problem. You have probably got a few stray unmerged vertices. Just select them and merge. Just to make sure every thing is okay I usually run Set Vertex normals and then delete the history. Then go back to SDs

_J

# 11 25-01-2005 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
there's a good bit of banding around the torso.

What do you mean???

Jango:
Thanks for the advice. Will definately try it out.

# 12 26-01-2005 , 07:14 AM
Subscriber
ok so i was able to converther into sub-ds but now...im getting these weird hoes and blank....what are they?
When I ran the poly cleanup, no vertices were selected so everything was merged, I even double checked and it seemed fine....but then...bam it wasn't......its a bit frustrating user added image

user added image