Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-10-2007 , 07:44 AM

Maya 8.5 crash. Autosave?

Is there an auto save in Maya 8.5?
I was working for a long time on a project and Maya crashed as I tried to use the sculpt geometry tool on an edge loop...
All the hard work is gone now and I want to know if there's a way to restore it before I start over again...

# 2 20-10-2007 , 09:41 AM
Lifetime Member
The first rule of Maya is save and save often.

If Maya crashes, it tries to save your scene as a .ma in your documents and settings temp folder the default path being C:\Documents and Settings\your name \Local Settings\Temp.

If you have set the TEMP variable in your Environment Variables, the recovery file will be saved to the path in the variable instead.

You can also turn on Incremental save which can be found in the options of the save scene Under the File menu.This does not help if you never save but what it does is it creates a backup folder in the scenes directory and makes and incremental backup everytime you save so if you save a few times the same scene and then decide you needed to go back to an earlier version in that session you can (kinder like a quick undo).If you crash though the incremental saves will still be in your scenes folder ready for you to recover from the last incremental save.
This won't help you now but in future it might .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 20-10-2007 at 09:53 AM.
# 3 20-10-2007 , 11:19 AM

Thanks

I found that path you posted, and I found some backups from earlier crashes, but I didn't find anything from that project user added image .
Thanks anyway, I guess I'll start saving progress more often now...
Benny

# 4 20-10-2007 , 11:27 AM
Subscriber
lol i save my sence like every 2 mins in a different file.

i do like P1 for part 1 then P2 for part 2 ect..

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 5 20-10-2007 , 11:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Sorry Benny , I did say Maya tries!
I guess it depends on the scale of the crash,but it is a really good habit to get into saving every 20 - 30 minutes or so and especially before trying anything that might require calculation including rendering.

Last edited by jsprogg; 20-10-2007 at 11:32 AM.
# 6 20-10-2007 , 11:58 AM
Wonder if you can create a mel code for autosaving.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 7 20-10-2007 , 12:06 PM
Lifetime Member

# 8 20-10-2007 , 02:20 PM
Thanks, I'll try it out.
Benny

# 9 21-10-2007 , 09:28 AM
I didn't find it too useful. Instead I've made a shelf button with a big floppy icon to remind me I need to save user added image .

Speaking of Mel, I just started studying it and I have a few questions about shelf buttons.
https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=27902
Can someone please help me with those?

# 10 21-10-2007 , 10:36 AM

Originally posted by jsprogg
There are some Mel scripts for auto save on Highend3d.

These don't interupt renders do they?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman