Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-04-2010 , 10:16 AM
Lifetime Member

Has anyone had a bad day like this, off topic

Well today was really bad. Maya kept crashing last night, my Spitfire model isnt coming along well. Then the missus rang (oh gawd) the car is buggered!! Going to cost $4000 AUS to fix, warranty JUST ran out!!! KIA you have 1 unhappy customer!!

Then after 4 HOURS of walking up and down a road, taking Topographical shots every 25m and tgrough bush I had to cut with my machete, guess what?? When I took a closing shot ( I didnt open one) all of the 400 point data was out by 1.53m (I think) vertically.

Somehow the Survey software DIDNT apply (or did) the geoid separation!!! I dont know when or where and the client needs the info by 0900 tomorrow. I have been up since 0500 today and was looking forward to Maya and some modelling.

Now I have to sift through the data and try and find it, worse still it has taken 6 DAYS for myself and my offsider to gather the topo!!! We are probably talking 5000 plus individual points to review BEFORE the morning deadline!!! (yes X,Y and Z!!!!). Imagine doing those points in a model by walking and finding out the software shit itself?? Its now 1815 in Perth and hari kari is looking pretty damn good ATM.

So if Maya crashes or does something weird, dont feel bad, at least you can do it again and not have to walk 10 miles to do it again (for free).

Sorry but I had to vent my spleen.

Cheers bullet.......happy thoughts......happy thoughts..............bah humbug....more beer. I am about to lower my IQ by several thousand notches.
:headbang: :angery:

I need a few of these!!!:hug:

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 07-04-2010 at 10:18 AM.
# 2 07-04-2010 , 01:01 PM
The Nurb Herd
didn't really understand what it was you are doing, but i get the picture... sucks to be you.
hey at least its not raining. user added image

# 3 07-04-2010 , 01:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey hammer,

Im basically mapping the Earth for a future development. I walked MILES to get 'vertices' like in Maya but in real life. When I went mesh smooth so to speak EVERYTHING was 1.53m higher than it should have been. So if you modelled a plane I WALKED it dude and the software shit itself, now Im screwed. Its not the walking but the struggle to get through the bush and get satellites to fix on my position that hurts. Plus the fact it was 6 days of work and I dont know what parts are upshit.

And as for the rain, Perth is drier than a camels fart, bring on winter I reckon.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 07-04-2010 , 09:05 PM
Lifetime Member
Ah that is shite. :headbang:

Sorry, I can sort of understand your pain as I'm an architectural designer by trade and know full well the effort that goes into a survey! I know some of the guys we use for surveys are often out in the rain for 4-5 days, all day, climing over fences, hacking through brush and scrub etc. etc..(And we are evil enough to request 10m grids and 0.5m contours! :p)

Keep at it though, it won't always be bad news...user added image Go and have a beer!

-Jacques

# 5 07-04-2010 , 10:30 PM
Lifetime Member
You evil bastard halfloaf!!!! Yep same over here except its usually 45C and snakes instead. Bahahahaha I know what the rain is like, prob better wet than dry but??

I had several of the amber kind, one too many.

Thanks guys

bullet1968