Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-12-2003 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber

nonmanifold edges on sub-d proxy

HI,
I'm modelling a Porsche 959 in Sub-d's. I modelled only 1 half of the body and used an instanced copy for the other half while I modelled. Now I've finished the body and I want to merge the 2 halves together (I've replaced the instanced copy with a mirror for the merge). I can attatch the 2 Sub-d objects together, but when I switch to poly proxy mode again and try to merge the verts it says that it can't because the edges are nonmanifold.

So, this all creates a few questions...
1) How do people normally merge 2 sub-d objects?
2) What does nonmanifold mean and how can I avoid it in the future?
3) How should I fix my problem?

I'd rather not convert to low-poly, merge, then convert back to sub-d because I'll have to make all my edge creases and tweaks again. But if this is what needs to be done then I guess I'll have to do it.

thanx user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 2 14-12-2003 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
not sure if there would be a loss of quality or not...but

you could try converting it from sub d to polygon then merging verts...then reconvert to subd forgoing polygon proxy mode

i'm not sure if it would mess with the geometry when converting back to subd...but it is worth a shot imo

# 3 15-12-2003 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber
I have done some experimentation with that, Elemenopee, but like I said before I'd prefer to find an alternative method (if there is one) because I don't want to have to redo my tweaks.

If you do the conversions properly (ie. so the poly mesh is identical to the poly proxy) the resulting sub-d mesh after the process theoretically should turn out exactly the way it was before (but merged of course).... but when I tried this it lost most of the creases i had made and then randomly and assymmetrically added creases in other places!

Unfortunately my 3 questions still remain.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 4 15-12-2003 , 09:58 PM
user title spammer
easy solution:

step 1 (dont know by the way if its really required).
use Subdiv - > mirror instead of simple duplicate & mirror

step 2 attach the two suDs (subdiv-> attach)

step 3 go into polygon mode select the verts (all edge-verts on or simply just select all verts and use the "merge vertices" with a distance setting of around 0,001 at this stage the SubD might disappear, dont care about it

step 4 select the polygon grid of the SubD and polygon->cleanup (all settings UNchecked, except the non-manifold settings), execute it

now the subD surface should re-appear and you should be happy with it.

# 5 15-12-2003 , 10:00 PM
user title spammer
your question 2:
nonmanifold means something like incompatible edges ... like one normal pointing up the next one pointing down and you try to merge those edges ... there is a good discription in the maya-help, just look for nonmanifold

you can´t avoid it in all cases ... but with the cleanup command you don´t need to care about it ...

what i forgot: merge the edges afterwards as well ...

# 6 16-12-2003 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
Thanks!! user added image

It wasn't exactly the solution, but I ran the cleanup operation several times on faces/edges/verts and that seems to have fixed the nonmanifold problem and let me merge.