Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-12-2014 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber

physical DOF lens shader missing - instructions to get it are so confusing

hi all,

I dont have this lens shader available - the instructions to 'invoke' it from autodesk are like another language to me, hoping someone can help,

"You'll need the mental ray for Maya plugin and you'll have to activate the custom mental ray nodes. You can do this by activating the environment variable "MAYA_MRFM_SHOW_CUSTOM_SHADER" with a value of 1. If you're using Windows, go to System Control / System / Advanced / Environment Variable and create a new variable called "MAYA_MRFM_SHOW_CUSTOM_SHADER" and set the value to 1."

https://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/...l_ray_for_maya

Im using mental ray, that parts fine, I just cant get past the next bit, where the feck is System Control? googling it brings up nothing.

hopefully someone can set me on the right path!
thanks
nicky

Last edited by nickynacky; 21-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
# 2 22-12-2014 , 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
I think they meant the Window's Control Panel>System>Advanced System Settings. Under the Advanced tab is the Environment Variables button. When that window pops up, under the System Variables section, click new and enter the variable name and the value below.

Or you could create a Maya.env(which can be a regular text file with the txt extension changed to .env), in it just add MAYA_MRFM_SHOW_CUSTOM_SHADER = 1 and put that file in your maya/version folder. You can back that up and port it around, beats having to alter whatever OS you're using.

Also, is there a reason why you're using that shader instead of the mia_lens_bokeh?(the article is from 2007)

- Genny
# 3 22-12-2014 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber
hey gen, thanks got it eventually - was just doing some mental ray lens shader tutorials, moved onto the bokeh one now, it is much better.

(also just realised im posting in the basics bit out of habit, rather than the right sub forum)