Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 15-01-2014 , 12:12 PM
Lifetime Member
Wow HUGE file....I dont think my laptop can take it LOL. Gubar, you have time to look? I think there are way too many droplets. If you havent done something like this before, I would try with maybe 10% of the droplets you have, to get a feel for what you can and cannot do. Even if you have done this before, I would still reduce the droplets by 90% and get a system going....maybe even on a simple plane etc. Just my thoughts of course, when I am not sure thats what I do...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 15-01-2014 , 12:35 PM
Hi Toddster,
The reason why I need a boolean is because if I would just renders the drops (with a custom mask) the refraction in the drops will not be accurate (since the water cuts through the glass) I render with Maxwell render where these little details become important.
I work together with retouch companies, and like you said I also render out different layers of lighting setups to be combined in post. But now they have to add the drops in post-production and they are really curious to see what the possibilities are in 3d and so am I :p. Creating (multiple) drops layers (masked) from 3d would be the ultimate aid in these workflows according to me.

# 18 15-01-2014 , 12:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Is this of any use?

Attached Files
File Type: zip spPaint3d_2011.1.zip (188.3 KB, 329 views)

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 15-01-2014 , 03:34 PM
Thanks for the script. I've installed it according the help document but I get this error message when trying to load the script:
// Error: "spPaint3d"; //
// Error: Line 1.11: Syntax error //
spPaint3d;
# Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2013/scripts/spPaint3d.mel line 17: ImportError: file <maya console> line 1: No module named spPaint3dGui #

Do you maybe know what I did wrong?

# 20 15-01-2014 , 05:30 PM
Lifetime Member
Mate it wasnt mine and its been about 2 years since I installed it. @Gen do you remember this script you gave me? Hopefully Genny can help mate....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 21 16-01-2014 , 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
I remember there was some missing files or something, this is the version I'm using with no problems. Also I should clarify, I did not write this script.

Attached Files
File Type: zip spPaint3D.zip (210.6 KB, 410 views)

- Genny
# 22 16-01-2014 , 03:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Gen

bullet1968

# 23 16-01-2014 , 03:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all your help!
Unfortunately I have to throw in the towel for now. These drops are driving me crazy and right now I have to focus on some other tasks :p. The drops will now be created in post-production by retouchers.
If I get some new results I'll post it here.
Thanks again!