Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-03-2014 , 02:11 PM
EduSciVis-er

Nucleus with Rigid Body

I just want to clarify for myself that there still is no method for true rigid bodies in the Nucleus solver. It just seems crazy that with the ridiculous number of solvers that Autodesk keeps throwing into Maya that there is no interaction between them. I just want nParticles and rigid bodies to collide with each other.

I know I can make a cloth object with high rigidity, but that's not really the same thing when it comes to large simulations. Am I correct in my assumptions?

# 2 19-03-2014 , 03:50 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 19-03-2014 , 03:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, as far as I can see that's the same as increasing the rigidity of a cloth object, only it calculates polygon shells individually. It is a workable solution, it just seems odd that cloth is the only way to create an active rigid body.

# 4 19-03-2014 , 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
This is an issue I've been developing with Maya. Parts of it feel so piece meal because there's all this stuff tacked on. The features create buzz on an upcoming release then crawl forward if at all. Why can't we have a comprehensive nSolver at the heart of Maya instead of a little of this and that plugins that were acquired? Why can't I see sprites or instances in viewport 2.0, or even sphere particle types, hell anything other than points in wireframe mode? Ugh rant over.

- Genny
# 5 19-03-2014 , 10:05 PM
EduSciVis-er
The new viewport 2.0 (2015) finally supports all the things it should have from day one, but I'm not that enthused about Bullet or Bifrost to be honest, they're just more solvers. I understand that it would be challenging to integrate the Bifrost dynamics system into either fluids or nParticles based liquid sim, but really it's just fragmented.