Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 25-06-2011 , 09:13 AM
Acid44

XBox Kinect For Mocap

You may have already seen, or heard of this, but I thought I'd share. Seems it would be a lot cheaper than any other mocap setup I've seen :p

https://www.cgchannel.com/2010/11/hac...-mocap-camera/

YouTube - ‪iPi Desktop Motion Capture - Kinect test 2‬‏

With the refinement that's bound to come from this, this could turn out to be a pretty cool way for students and hobbyists to get more realism from they're stuff (IMO). I know I'll give it a try in the future, if I have a chance

# 2 25-06-2011 , 05:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
The guy that was doing the mocap was obviously a black belt in karate... haha, sorry it's the first thing I thought. A bit jiggly at the moment, but I'm sure it will get better. Cool.

# 3 26-06-2011 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
aww stwert, i thought you were serious about the black belt thing!

this shows again that the kinect is good for many things instead of games.

i saw someone use the kinect to control a humanoid robot. it was quite cool

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 26-06-2011 , 10:57 AM
Acid44
@ Chirone - That sounds pretty sweet. Wonder if it could be used for an army of little robots user added image

@ Stuart - I looked into it a bit more, from what I've read it seems pretty simple to clean up the jaggy motion in Motionbuilder, some people are getting some nice results from it

# 5 27-06-2011 , 12:49 PM
It is good for overall "primary" motions though I would be a little worried over the inclusion of more refined motions. It would be good for getting some basics out but not too sure about any other motions capture but with the depth sensor it may allow some biometric identification.

The Kinect stuff is pretty awesome to be honest.

Just oding some research with the kinect.

There was a demo of the kinect working directly with Motionbuilder.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 27-06-2011 , 07:23 PM
Acid44
I've seen a few in realtime with a few different programs. It even seems really easy to get it cleaned up and into UDK, so it seems that unknown game developers will have a new option for animation.

I'm just waiting to see what comes of it in the next few months. I'm personally hoping it catches on for hobbyists and the like, would be cool to see a ton of new animations and stuff as a result of it

# 7 28-06-2011 , 05:55 AM
Subscriber
it might be worth getting one just to hack it and join in the fun with everyone else!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 28-06-2011 , 07:15 AM
Acid44
I'm planning on it ;D