Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-07-2004 , 01:31 AM

test if channel has animation

Is there a mel command to determine whether a given channel of an object is animated or not ?

Thanks ...

# 2 17-07-2004 , 02:10 AM
Hi Suzie. Maybe the listConnections command could be used to determine if a given channel is connected to anything (eg an animation curve, expression or sometehing else). Let's say that you want to test if the rotateZ of a nurbsSphere1 is controlled by something:

Code:
{
	string $sAttrConn[]= `listConnections -source 1 -destination 0 nurbsSphere1.rotateZ`;

if( size($sAttrConn) > 0 )
		print("nurbsSphere1.rotateZ is controlled by something");
	else
		print("nurbsSphere1.rotateZ is not controlled by anything");
}

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 17-07-2004 , 02:45 AM
Well there is the "attributeQuery" command, but I can't seem to figure out how to use it.

However, you can use a command like...

string $list[] = `listConnections pCube1`;
where pCube1 is the name of your locater to see if it has a translate or rotate node connected to it.

Hey!!!
When I first started my post, no one had replied. I was all excited to have figured this out. I got sidetracked and by the time I submitted my posting, good ole' K-man had beaten me to it.

Rats.

Last edited by Dann; 17-07-2004 at 02:47 AM.
# 4 17-07-2004 , 03:04 AM
lol @ dann user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 23-07-2004 , 05:15 AM
The only strictly complete way to check for animation is to go through each frame and check each vertex position. However, if you're comfortable guessing that the animation will be keyed on a particular channel, doing a listConnections and looking for animCurve nodes of various types will be the simplest way.

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com