Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-07-2004 , 01:16 AM

my first head...

Here is another "first head" by a n00b.. hehe.. I am not going for a realistic head though, gonna go for a cartoonish one. This is the start. Gonna clean it up a bit tomorrow, now I'm going to sleep...

Attached Images
# 2 18-07-2004 , 02:37 AM
Nice start for your first head model DJbLAZER! user added image I am looking forward to seeing its progress! user added image There is one thing that I noticed though...the eyes seem like they are a little too sunken in, unless of course that is the look you are going for since it is a cartoonish face. Aside from that, keep up the great work and I hope you will post more renders of it soon! user added image

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 3 18-07-2004 , 12:01 PM
Subscriber
yo dj wzzup

nice start on the head... very nice for fisrt attempt.. Like you said yourself....you got some cleaning up to do....post a update when you have user added image keep it rollin'

greetZ

RanSicK

# 4 18-07-2004 , 03:44 PM
Hey DJblazer, coming along very nicely there! Keep it up! user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 5 18-07-2004 , 07:18 PM
thanks for the comments, guys! Here's an update, have changed him to have a little more evil look.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 18-07-2004 , 09:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
This is a good start dude. I still think there is room for some more tidying mesh wise. Its just the edge looping around the eyes and mouth area. I tend to think of the face as having 3 'O's the eye and the mouth areas as thats how they are roughly shaped. I'm not promoting my own work here but have a look at the Henchman character in the Wip Section and you'll see what I mean. I think its important to watch out around these areas especially for animating facial rigs, your expressions will look far more convincing if you get the face topology right. Also its less hassle when creating blend shapes with wire deformers too, everything goes the right way.
Hope this isn't too much bullshit for you, just trying to help...

_J

# 7 18-07-2004 , 09:39 PM
Hi Jango, thanks for the c&c's. Your Henchman sure is a nice model! As a beginner it's very hard to know where to put all your edges, and to get trid of all 3 and 5-polygons, but I guess that's something you learn over time. What do you mean exaactly I should do? What is the "problem" with my mouth and eyes? Regarding your wireframes, how do you render a smoothed version wiht the wireframes together?

# 8 18-07-2004 , 10:42 PM
if there's one thing that I can say to help, is to use some references.

# 9 18-07-2004 , 10:45 PM
I have stopped caring about 3's and 5's since its only an issue when using subD, and Mental Ray. Also sometimes its best to have quads where you have much deformations, such as aound the mouth, eyes ..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 10 18-07-2004 , 10:54 PM
wow about 10000000000000x better than my first head. the top of the head around the temple area looks a little swelled, almost liek an alien, and the new evil nose is a little sloppy but other than that really great job.

# 11 20-07-2004 , 01:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its just a screen grab dude. As for the 3 and 5 sided theory I think you'll find four sided is the best approach no matter whether its a subd or not, especially when it comes to animating

_J

# 12 20-07-2004 , 03:04 PM
I would try to look up some topolgy-tuts and edgeloops-tuts, think you will find them interesting user added image it will help you in futuring modelling as well.. keep it up.

<font="old english">...pastuhoff...</font>
# 13 21-07-2004 , 05:11 PM
Update. Some problems at the eyebrow area and I am not satisfied with the nose, so am just gonna keep working user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 22-07-2004 , 11:09 PM
Changed the nose, and I'm pretty satisfied with the result, think it looks a lot better now. The eyebrow area modified so he looks a little more angry.Modifications to the chin and the head shape.

Gonna do some small tweaking and then I'm gonna try to start to texturing this bad boy. Never done any UV-mapping before so that could be interesting user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 22-07-2004 , 11:30 PM
wow that looks really good. did you do it from a tutorial? if so which one? i like the new nose a lot, and the eye brows look good too. are you considering adding hair for the brows or scalp?