Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 14-12-2006 , 11:16 PM
lookin sweet arran! user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 17 19-12-2006 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
hey arran, haha love the idea of this project alot. looking good soo far, keep up the work dude user added image looks like your struggling on the "takushi"taxi... but i know you will pull it off like usual user added image

"watashi wa, marlon des..." i think i said, my name is marlon. as you know already but im bored atm, 4:44am here in australia lol...

cheers arran, marlon

# 18 19-12-2006 , 05:57 PM
Hey Arran, Camera mapping is where you project an image onto a 3d scene, so you can move the camera and have the 2d projection lookinbg like its 3D (via the 3D objects)

Its a bit hard to describe, this shows it better than I can describe (as well as having a tutorial on it too!)

https://www.digitalartform.com/archiv...rojecti_1.html

Sorry for the late reply

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 19-12-2006 , 08:52 PM
Hey MattTheMan - thanks for the comments mate - always good to get nice feedback. user added image

marlonjohn - cheers dude - and thanks for the takushi tip - it helped me find some more pictures.

gster - mate you are a star - Thanks for the cool tutorial. That looks very interesting.

Well, here is a small update - let's see, I added some windows and basic interiors to the matsumoto building, did some more work on the escalator, added the mannequins, added some lights on the far right, made some more signs and did some general jiggling of the various bits and pieces.

Almost finished the modelling of the buildings and then I can get stuck into the crappy taxis...

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 20-12-2006 , 09:29 AM
how are you doing all the Japanese?

# 21 20-12-2006 , 10:51 AM
The blue and white 3D signs were made by cutting out the signs from the original, flattenning them out in photoshop and then projecting them on to a poly plane in maya. I then cut them out using the split poly tool. As for the rest or the signs, I am planning to just take what I can from the original and anything else I will just make up.

# 22 28-12-2006 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
nanno kotobaga shiritaidesuka?

hi mate, hope you are still doing this, looks great. My wife is here and if you need any words or written Japanese she is happy to write it and i can scan it in for you to copy.

good work and looks like difficult work must be heavy on the processior, how long does this scene take to render??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 23 29-12-2006 , 01:08 PM
thanks mirek - yeah, still working on this, doing the odd bit every now and again. I need to get the taxis done and have been trying to decide whether to keep working on them in polygons or start again using nurbs, which always make my head hurt. At the moment, as it's just the model, it takes two seconds to render.

thanks for the offer with the translating - i'll keep it in mind. Not sure what your sentence meant though...

# 24 29-12-2006 , 02:17 PM
Subscriber
nurbs.., uuggghh, my head hurts too!!

the sentance means 'what words do you need?'.., nothing special mate, simply that!

anyway, as i said if you need any Japanese words i can scan them to a Jpeg for you, Ryoko has been to Sinjuku many times but she doesn't like it, i think it is 'the seedy side of town' .., sounds good to me though lol.

M user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 25 03-01-2007 , 12:03 AM
Man, this is coming along swimmingly! It's looking damn good thus far, arran! Have you thought of adding in your own touches to the street, such as scooters, mechs, or some other Japanese type stuff? That'd be cool.

On a side note, that tute rocks, gster!! I didn't know stuff like that could be done with Maya! Thanks!

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 26 03-01-2007 , 04:53 PM
Hey - thanks erictacti - I like that idea a lot! I got a mobile suit gundam for Xmas so I might have to get him to destroy a few buildings!

Not much progress on this at the moment, as I have started on the challenge, but I am still working on this and will post when I have something to show.

# 27 06-01-2007 , 11:23 PM
small update - have been bevelling and adding details here and there, such as the jayro sign and other bits...

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 12-01-2007 , 04:55 AM
Looking good. And, I can't wait to see it detroyed by the Mech!

j/k:p

Eric Tacti
3D Artist
# 29 13-01-2007 , 07:06 AM
hey arran!!!
i love it, i'm sure it was a lot of effort and sweat lol
i don't have any bad comment to give you, i think it is pretty good
keep up the good effort and keep updating us about your fantastic work

M!G0nS@
# 30 13-01-2007 , 08:11 AM
Hey - thanks for the great comments guys user added image

It may be a while before i next update as I am stuck into this month's challenge, but I am still working on this.

welcome to simply maya migonsa - looking forward to seeing some of your work. user added image