Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 19-01-2008 , 11:45 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
It's Me!

@gster123: Thanks for the .pdf Theres allot of cool info in that, though I'm still not sure i know how to set up a 'Infinity Curve' but I messed with some settings, and have managed to get some like it. (I will post them later, once they've rendered)
Thanks again!

@vladimirjp: Thanks for the comment, and studio Renders coming soon user added image

@AikoWorld: Thanks for the comment. It's most appreciated!

@twisteddragon33: Sorry to hear you lost your momentum for this project. It's a great car, and after watching Transformer the other day, My momentum seems higher than ever!
The Rims are actually pretty simple... so don't let that be the reason you stop. As for sending you my model, I'm afraid after some bad experiences, I won't be sending anyone my Models... sorry! I don't mind sending textures.... Shaders.... screenies.... But not my models user added image

Thanks again to all for your comments!

I am currently Rendering some studio shots (Based on the .pdf Gster123 gave me (thanks for that) so expect an update tonight user added image ......... Mental Ray is Sloooooooow!!!

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 47 19-01-2008 , 12:26 PM
yeah i can understand why you wouldnt send the model. But even the shader would be appreciated.

I tried doing the 3 light setup but no matter what i have my lights set to they are really bright or they arent that bright but my car reflects them like they are.

I decided to go ahead and i finished the last few things my car needs, all thats left is the actual tire(rims are done)

So at least i will finish it but i doubt it will come out as well as yours.

# 48 20-01-2008 , 12:59 AM
UPDATE

Well, Heres the Studio Renders that I've been working on today!

I've finished all the texturing, Though a couple of shaders could use some work! But this is pretty much my first attempt at Rendering!!! Before the Camaro I had never really gone near Mental Ray, and now that i have... I can see it has some potential, BUT It's done nothing but give a Headache.... I've spent hours setting up shaders, Node networks, and Lights.... With GI, Emitting hundreds of photons.... FG.... and loads of AA settings..... BLAHHHHH!!! It's a NIGHTMARE!!!! And thats before the long wait for it to Render..... When you realize you forgot to turn on a Layer!!

Anyway, these renders are based on the .pdf file given to me by Gster123. Though the .pdf was pretty informative.... It really left allot of Black spaces in the procedure.... And I still don't know exactly what was going on in the .pdf, BUT I've tried my best to replicate the settings, only with my own touch added.

Anyway, PICS:

user added image

user added image

user added image

Anyway, C&C More than welcome, though I'm pretty much ready to call this done. I will most likely try and set up an Environment Render...... we'll see!

Thanks again for all of your input thus far everybody!

@Twisteddragon33: What shader(s) is it that your looking for?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 49 20-01-2008 , 03:49 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
WOW!
this has really come together
nice work

# 50 20-01-2008 , 05:43 AM
i was hoping to get your taillights, body textures.

Ive been messing around with MR lately too, ive never used it and i agree.. a LOT of menus. But i think im starting to get some quality renders done. A decent render really enhances a model.

And you should turn the headlights on in your model, looked really good last time.

# 51 20-01-2008 , 11:12 AM
@elephantinc, Thanks for the great comment!

@Twisteddragon33, I've sent you an email with the car paint shader, though when rendering it's 25% Shaders/textures, and 50% Lighting, and setup, and 25% waiting user added image

I have been told to turn the lights on by a couple of people, and i might. But the next thing I'm going to focus on is setting up an environment render.

Thanks again for all the comments!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 52 21-01-2008 , 02:08 AM
That's really neat! why not open the car's headlight?

user added image

# 53 21-01-2008 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
f#ck me urieka, user added image that`s a very cool render man.

Top notch!

Would be cool to have the lights on user added image

Gives it that extra little detail.

# 54 21-01-2008 , 06:15 AM
Subscriber
showreel material ! user added image

needs a floor or a display of some kind.., its floating in a black space user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 55 21-01-2008 , 06:52 AM
@lealar: Thanks you for the comment! The head lights are open (as they don't close) It's just too dark to see them properly. Thanks again!

@AikoWorld: Hehee, Thanks for the great comment! I will be re-doing this render, with the lights on, and the scene slightly brighter. Thanks again!

@Mirec03: Wow, thanks for the kind words! It has a floor but it's too dark to see it! Thanks again!

I will be starting a Render shortly. With the lights on (due to popular demand user added image ) Also i will brighten up the scene (very little though) just to accent the floor a bit more.

Thanks again!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 56 21-01-2008 , 07:36 AM
i would think even making the floor a gray(even a dark gray) would help distinguish it from the car. but depends on what enviroment your going to use for your final.

# 57 21-01-2008 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
i only try to tell it like it is user added image

and.., what twisteddragon33 said..!

Muser added image

# 58 22-01-2008 , 07:09 PM
@twisteddragon33: Well, I've added a new floor to the new Renders, so hopefully things will be easier to see.

@Mirek03: Thanks, Your a good guy! user added image

UPDATE

Well, these are not the finals...... Yeah thats right I'm STILL trying to get a nice render setup going!

Plus I'm having a whole lot of issues with my computer, and/or Mental Ray! (not sure which is the culprit yet.)

Anyway, Any time I try and Render my scene with the Displacement Maps applied to my tires.... Mental Ray Crashes! It just stops dead!.... End Of Render! I've tried turning on/off the FG, and the GI.... I've tried playing with the AA settings.... You name it... Still nothing! But when i Render the tire on It's own. It works fine! One of my friends said that it could be a Memory/Graphics issue (basically... My computer is too weak to render such a large scene.)

Now this shouldn't be a problem for too much Longer, as I'm going to be modeling the tire, But I also get this issue when I put an HDRI image in the scene.

So if any of your Maya Freaks, have any suggestions... PLEASE let me know! I can't Render My final shot, without these vital features!!!

Anyway, Heres a couple of renders I've done. Just basically played around with a few different setups, and other junk like that.

Dark Studio Render (with lights on, as requested):

user added image

Light Studio Render (with new Primer style Paint applied) With Stripes!!! Whoo!

user added image

And one last one for all you Transformers Fans!!!!!:

user added image

I wish I could post bigger images :headbang: These small ones don't do the renders justice!

I have all of these Rendered out at 1200x1000 But the Forum rules say they have to be relatively small!.... O'well!

C&C More than Welcome!

These aren't my final Renders..... There more like fun Renders! While I try and figure out whats wrong with my computer/Mental Ray!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 22-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.
# 59 22-01-2008 , 07:26 PM
It does sound like your machines running low on RAM.

What I would be tempted to do is render in layers using opacity masks so its easier to comp in together that way your rendering less geo each time.

Also render from the command line to free up system resources (or create a sceen for each layer with said masks then render using a .bat file) and see if that works.

Also since your rendering layers render in passes too that way you can fiddle to your hearts content in post to get it looking how you want.

Also to remember to render the alpha out (look in custom entities in the mental ray tab even thought it might be switched on in the render globals)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 60 23-01-2008 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber
hide individual elements of your scene and render and composite them in PS or a compositing package. rumour has it that maya was on the weak side of rendering layers from the DVDs I have watched of pros work flow(one said maya layers werent the best, (what ever that meant??), none used render layers.., they rendered each scene as a complete and seperate pass and they then composited everything in shake.., Z-depth, elements in the scene, lights, shadows, specular.., blah blah.., all in shake (but AE, fusion , whatever will do too.., who cares??).

when you upgrade.., well thats another story, you'll be on top of it all (maybe go and buy some RAM today)

do each tire, body and piece it together, that way you could do some nice post effects (did steve already say this??). l

good guy?? ME??? ( when good Im OK when bad very bad user added image )

steve, how do you render from the command line.., i hear you can render with maya shut down??