Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 166 09-11-2010 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
there seems to now be vertical creases on his neck around where his throat is

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 167 10-11-2010 , 09:32 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Chirone

Yeah I noticed, I think it is a texture artifact or maybe a hard edge or something..user added image

# 168 13-11-2010 , 12:03 AM

ARGGGH ZBRUSH DISPLACEMENT

Have been trying to set up a displacement shader in renderman, but somehow I can't seem to get a decent displacement map out of ZBrush.

As you see in the image below on the top left is the displacement map i got out of Zbrush and did a testrender with the topright image as a result, now I know ( or think I do), that Maya calculates from neutral grey ( which is 128 in r,g and b)so I scaled down to 16 bit tiff and did some grading on the image which resulted in the below two pictures, as you can see that testrender looks a lot better than his predesessor , but stil not nearly good enough.

I use Zbrush4 which has the multimap exporter instead of the old way ( with the code) and I can't seem to get a decent displacement out of it, I really don't like ( bliep) -ing around in PS or NUKE or whatever to get the grading correct I just want to generate it straight out of ZBrush so if someone here could help, then that would be great

Attached Thumbnails
# 169 13-11-2010 , 05:52 PM
After an internet search I found out that I shouldn't have listened to the ZBrush recommendations ( I pressed get scale and set the Mid value back to 0....)
Once I figured that one out it was pretty much over and done with and the render did the rest.
I did find it strange that since I generated a 32 bit displacement map the values for alpha gain and offset didn't work anymore at 2.2 and -1.1 , I even went below 1 for the gain ( ???), ah well whatever works right?.

I also have been fiddling with SSS in Renderman, it's just a blinn with SSS properties( is something you can do with renderman) and I only chucked the colormap in the diffuse and tweaked the settings of the SSS by color( have no idea what the values do since if I turn all of them off except one, the SSS doesn't work anymore...grrr...).

I have put the settings in the image as well

C&C en tips are most welcomeuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 170 06-02-2011 , 07:49 PM

Attached Thumbnails
# 171 07-02-2011 , 12:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Just a question..is his skin meant to be that shiny? near the collar bone?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 172 07-02-2011 , 05:58 PM
Hi Bullet,

I think it's because of the high intensity backlight, if you look at the GIF sequence you"ll see it's only in the middle frame, I haven't tweaked the shader very much however, so it could be that reflectivity or specularity is still fairly high

# 173 16-02-2011 , 11:39 PM
Have been fiddling with dr jones again.....C&C most welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 174 21-02-2011 , 12:17 AM
# 175 21-02-2011 , 12:38 AM
The thin red line
please mastone, will you finish this model off and go onto some thing else........dave

# 176 21-02-2011 , 08:50 AM

please mastone, will you finish this model off and go onto some thing else........dave

Hahaha I will, but I use this as a study object and I tend to be a little perfectionistic, so I am sorry I am dragging you through torment....sorry user added image

# 177 21-02-2011 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
I say well done for sticking to it - I have so many unfinished projects now that I might go a have another go at - when I do I get results like my grimlock image - which I was very happy about.

It has the look of indy but maybe a little cartoon-e-ness at the same time. Not quite photoreal but def looking like him