Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 61 03-03-2015 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber
hey David, im still here doing this little by little user added image. quick question, how do you uv map the drapes using UVlayout? any advise? Im using Shift F but it doesn't seems to be taking me to safe port...I assumed that it should be easy as they are rectangle planes. thanks!

# 62 03-03-2015 , 03:02 AM
SM Tea Boy
If you created the drapes using marvelous designer you should not need to uv them, as md should have created the uv as well as the geo. Uving such a high Polly object is never easy user added image one of the reasons I use md is because you should not have to.

Put a checked map on the drapes you should see it's square and even if not post an image of what it looks like and I'll be better able to help. Will have to wait till tomorrow though I'm just about to hit the sack

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 63 04-03-2015 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber
ok that was amazing lol!!! it totally worked in a way I can believe it!! thanks!

# 64 25-04-2015 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
David,

Is there any chance I can send you a file for you to check whats wrong? it seems everything is ok until I create the "image based lighting", after created when I render everything is totally plain...much different to the result you get in the video, don't know what im doing wrong.

One thing is that Im enabling the color control management from the render settings, but thats should be the issue, Ive try several ways and everything goes off when I do the image based lighting.

Thanks for the help.

Below are the images of before and after that lighting.

Attached Thumbnails
# 65 25-04-2015 , 02:39 AM
SM Tea Boy
@serkestudio sure email me the file david@simplymaya.com and i'll take a look at it it won't be until tomorrow though as it's already past midnight here.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 66 25-04-2015 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
Thanks David. I sent you the email a couple hours ago. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks.

# 67 25-04-2015 , 04:49 PM
SM Tea Boy
I got it but i can't quite see the problem if i simply hit render on that scene you sent me i get the result you see attached below. Which is exactly what i'd expect to see when i hit render at this stage of the tutorial.

If you open the file you just send me and hit render do you get a different result from the one below?

You might try deleting your prefs folder https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...o-Default.html

When you've done that render the file. Honestly i simply opened it and hit render so i think there must be something else going on. I'm also using Maya 2015 should not make much difference for this but...

Attached Thumbnails

# 68 25-04-2015 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
Do you have the image based lighting already set up in that file?

# 69 25-04-2015 , 04:54 PM
SM Tea Boy
Wait! now i look at your image i would say you've accidentally deleted or otherwise disabled your directional light.

Turn of default lighting -> render settings -> common -> render options untick enable default lighting. If your scene renders black then somehow your main light has been uncoupled form the scene. Create a new directional light and render again

# 70 25-04-2015 , 04:55 PM
SM Tea Boy
yes image based lighting was set up but see my post above i get exactly the same result as you when i disable the directional light and default lighting kicks in so i'd say that was the problem

# 71 25-04-2015 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
Thanks David. I'll wait for my baby to sleep and try again. Thanks!

# 72 25-04-2015 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
great thanks!! it worked!!!

# 73 25-04-2015 , 10:30 PM
SM Tea Boy
No problem i should have spotted it right away but i always render with default lighting turned off, so i didn't think of it.

Glad you got it sorted out. Keep posting up your wips, love the little tweaks you've made to the scene.

# 74 12-06-2015 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
hi David, I almost have the night scene ready, but it seems my final gather accuracy isn't enough, please see the attachments. Ive tune up some values already. What could you recommend me? thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 75 12-06-2015 , 12:51 AM
SM Tea Boy
I'm on my mobile at the moment so I can't really get a good look at what's going on. I can tell you the your quality settings are already more than high enough it looks like.

If you can send me your file david@ simplymaya.com and I'll take a look when I get back on a desktop machine tomorrow. I don't need the textures btw.