Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-11-2016 , 04:48 PM

Solar System Flythrough

Hey folks,

I hope I'm posting in the right place! I just started with Maya and a youtube tutorial a week ago and previously knew less than nothing about anything 3D related! I'm not averse to a good tutorial but I do like to teach myself and just love a good forum too user added image

Tell me if I might be being a bit ambitious for my first solo project by all means haha.

I've found some great textures and all sorts relating to the solar system I've downloaded (half of which I don't know what to do with yet like cloud transparency maps and things, but that's for later) and I really want to make an animated fly through of the solar system.

My question is that I'm not sure how the whole rendering process works yet and wondered if it was bad to make a whole bunch of big planets far apart and just move a camera around, or (and this is my newbie thinking) perhaps just have the earth and moon a reasonable size as a starting point, the sun small but close in, and the other planets tiny objects close by that I could then just scale up over time to give the impression of flying closer to them. This would (in my head) work up to a point I could then move the camera around them and then move on to the next planet meaning I could contain things in a relatively small overall space. I'm also thinking the rendering process might be a little less intensive then too if not everything was large scale at the same time? Tho I might have got the wrong end of the stick there?

Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew knowing very little on the subject but I do have a habbit of doing that, and it is a lotta fun! Any hints and tips would be awesome user added image Or maybe someone's done a tutorial on this or similar that you know of?

Cheers

# 2 22-11-2016 , 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
I should think it would be less of a hassle and more accurate to just model to scale and animate the camera along a motion path rather than fudging the illusion of a fly through by animating the scale of the planets.

- Genny