View Poll Results: How do you use the UI?
Hotbox and Shortcuts ONLY! 3 16.67%
Lots of Hotbox, Lots of Shortcuts, Occasional Menu 6 33.33%
Some Menus, Some Shortcuts, Some Hotbox 8 44.44%
Mostly Menus and ToolBox... occasionally I use shortcuts and have used the Hotbox a few times 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-12-2003 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber

How do you use the UI?

I'd be very interested to know how you're all using the UI in Maya.

I'm quite a nOOb, so I tend to use a bit of everything... I'd be interested to know what the more experienced folk find themselves doing.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 12-12-2003 , 03:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
I use the shelf pretty heavily. Not sure if that's what you mean by shortcuts or not. Have to say I rarely use the Hotbox.

# 3 12-12-2003 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I use the shelf pretty heavily. Not sure if that's what you mean by shortcuts or not. Have to say I rarely use the Hotbox.

Shortcuts = shortcut keys.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 4 12-12-2003 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
I must say ever since they introduced the shelves I have been using them alot more. Majority of the tools I use are set there if not I can easily just put something in the custom shelf.

# 5 12-12-2003 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
hotkeys mostly, no hotbox. but ya didn't have that one. So I used the 2nd one anyway.

# 6 12-12-2003 , 11:59 PM
Always use the shelf, some shortcuts, menus when needed.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 13-12-2003 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber
I use the hotbox alot and ocassonally the shelf. but that is what I got used to after Maya 4.5 fundementals:p

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 8 13-12-2003 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
I use mostly the hotbox and some custom marking menus I've set up. Some shelf stuff too, but not very often.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 9 13-12-2003 , 04:26 PM
All hotbox and custom marking menus. The only menus I use are from individual panel sets.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 10 13-12-2003 , 09:41 PM
Shelves, marking menus, and hotkeys for me. I like things in consistent places, so the Hotbox doesn't really work that well for me. Shelves work great for me, because I customize them like crazy. I some shelves that stay the same. I have others that I customize and change on the fly as I work. And of course, nothing is faster than hotkeys. A lot of the default hotkeys don't exist anymore. I've pretty much remapped most of the keyboard to my own keys. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 11 14-12-2003 , 03:00 AM
I should amend...I do have a few shelves setup but they're more for specialized tasks like creating paintfx hair....or using CPS. I rarely use them but I can definitely see their usefulness. Most of the time I have everything in the UI gone except for the views and their panel menus. I toggle the attribute editor and the channel box on/off as need be with hotkeys as well as the outliner and several other windows I use frquently.

I think the hotbox is pretty consistent for me because I use the default that shows all the menus. Then I just have specialized marking menus setup for various modeling types and editing so I don't have to hunt for them in the hotbox. As I go along, I find more things that I tend to use alot and just add them to the appropriate marking menu.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 06-01-2004 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
i use my, MIND...... and give commands to maya. no hands needed. that's because i have the "limitless unlimited" version, that costs a whopping 45k USD

# 13 06-01-2004 , 07:47 PM
I use whatever is the easiest for a particular task. In general I try to avoid the menus as much as I can so that means I use a lot of shortcuts. My left hand is constantly on the keyboard while with the right hand I use the stylus pen (for all mouse work). I should get into that custom marking menu biz too since it certainly would speed up many tasks. Bottom line is that I try to do everything with minimal effort user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 14 06-01-2004 , 08:11 PM
shelf with all my short cuts=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 15 06-01-2004 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
don't rightly know what hotbox's are, but I use shelves, the menus, and shortcuts equally. I do not use custom marking menus at all.