Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-03-2012 , 04:49 PM

2012 2D Fluid Effect Rendering Problem

Hi all!

I am having a slight problem with a scene I am working on with Maya Fluid Effects. It SHOULD be a fairly easy scene, but is slowly turning into a nightmare with a deadline approaching.

I have to create an un-heavy simulation of water falling into a small pond from a short distance away using a 2DFluid Container (not the actual falling water, just the reaction of the water being hit), which will be baked into three layers and applied to a texture in 3DS Max. One of the layers is rendering fine as a PNG with alpha channel (which is what is required) but the other two layers come up blank. I'm using Maya software to render, with the fluids in my viewport in front of a blank black plane as I am just trying to get a simulated alpha render (all of the fluids are white). All three layers are set up in render layers with the same settings.

All the fluids have different attributes, only one of them shows up when I do a viewport render, and I am rendering through the front view as I need a flat image to put into my texture. All layers are rendered with the same render settings. To try to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I made a brand new file with a fluid effect and when I went to render (keep in mind, only one 2D Fluid Effect in the scene) I still got nothing. Does anyone know if this is a glitch with Maya and if there is a work around for it? The strange thing is that one of my effects DOES render... just not the other two. Bizarre!

Could someone advise me at all with this? I feel like I am missing just a tiny setting that is ruining my workflow! Thanks a lot!

# 2 07-03-2012 , 05:03 PM

Solved!

Of course I finally solve my problem of two days 5 minutes after I post here!

For anyone else running into this problem, what I ran into was that the depth on the Z Axis was too shallow and thus wouldn't show up in the render. Hopefully that helps anyone else who has this problem!