Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-04-2004 , 12:11 AM

Need quick answers...

Am still a beginner to modeling, and these are some generic questions I need to answer for one of my modeling classes... please respond if you can... asap.

Normal mapping is generally used in production by an artist painting a “Normal Map” in Photoshop, then applying that map to the low poly model.
...true or false?

Normal mapping increases polygon count at render time.
...true or false?

When counting the number of polygons for 3D game engines, always count the:
-triangles
-quads
-triangles and quadsd
-any sided polygon
...which one is it?

The game industry typically wants artists to do multiple jobs, while the VFX industry wants people doing a specific job all the time.
...true or false?

Subdivision Surfaces are really based on Polygons.
...true or false?

For years, NURBS have been the standard at visual FX studios for modeling high resolution characters. Lately though, Subdivision Surfaces have stolen the limelight.
...true or false?

NURBS modeling is less powerful in 3ds max than Maya.
...true or false?

Equilateral triangles are more efficient for spherical shapes than square polys.
...true or false?

What is the name of the Red and Blue walled room used to test Radiosity?
-cornell box
-color box
...which is it? I think it's Cornell Box, but not positive.

Please answer asap - sorry for the questions and posting in (likely) the wrong forum section; however, I need these to be seen asap... please forgive me, hehe.
:o

# 2 22-04-2004 , 01:25 AM
Aww, common you guys... please? user added image

# 3 22-04-2004 , 01:41 AM
The Maya Mountain

Re: Need quick answers...

Normal mapping is generally used in production by an artist painting a “Normal Map” in Photoshop, then applying that map to the low poly model.
False, although possible. Normal maps are predominately generated by creating a high-res model and baking down to a low-res, or using a Photoshop plugin that converts a bump map to a normal map.

Normal mapping increases polygon count at render time.
False. Normal mapping isn't normally used in conjunction with rendering. It's primarily used in real-time games to simulate geometry. When used in games, no, it doesn't increase the polycount.

When counting the number of polygons for 3D game engines, always count the:
-triangles

The game industry typically wants artists to do multiple jobs, while the VFX industry wants people doing a specific job all the time.
Depends on the studio, but usually that's about right.

Subdivision Surfaces are really based on Polygons.
Sorta.

For years, NURBS have been the standard at visual FX studios for modeling high resolution characters. Lately though, Subdivision Surfaces have stolen the limelight.
Depends on the artist and what they're most comfortable with.

NURBS modeling is less powerful in 3ds max than Maya.
Don't know. Wouldn't think so.

Equilateral triangles are more efficient for spherical shapes than square polys.
Heh, tell you the truth, not sure.

What is the name of the Red and Blue walled room used to test Radiosity?
Not sure about this one either.

# 4 22-04-2004 , 01:44 AM
...is the last question is the Cornell box simulation.

# 5 22-04-2004 , 02:43 AM
Geez, mike, I think you just did his homework! user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 22-04-2004 , 05:38 AM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
Geez, mike, I think you just did his homework! user added image

Not really... most of his answers aren't even definite - they are simply "it depends" or "I think." These are actually only a few of many many questions I need to answer in a final assignment/paper/exam-thingy.

If anyone else can help with definite answers, it would be much appreciated.
-Thanks.

# 7 22-04-2004 , 05:44 AM
There no definite answers to those questions. "It depends" really is the way things are.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 8 22-04-2004 , 05:55 AM

Originally posted by dannyngan
There no definite answers to those questions. "It depends" really is the way things are.

I'm sure there is a definite answer on many of them, though - such as the ones he was not sure of.
...I appreciate all the help and input.user added image

# 9 22-04-2004 , 08:08 AM
just for curiosity... and since i feel mtmk just stole the words from my mouth...user added image where are you studiying that they have THE ANSWERS in a true/false fashin?user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 22-04-2004 at 12:11 PM.
# 10 22-04-2004 , 08:16 AM
-displacements: while in games it doesnt ups the polycount at rendertime it will do if you use it on maya renderer in the current state of things

-round thingies
yes a geosphere is more efficient (in number of polys) to acheve the same smoothness than a quadsphere (or a quadsphere converted to tris) because of how the vertex are arranged, but because of that same thing it is less useful to modificate and it really is a ridiculouly small optimization...

-NURBS modeling is less powerful in 3ds max than Maya.
-For years, NURBS have been the standard at visual FX studios for modeling high resolution characters. Lately though, Subdivision Surfaces have stolen the limelight.
It used to be the general opininion... on both... but with the latest tools and hard is a matter of what are you more confortable with as mt said... in fact Stahlberg (who started using subds to great effect since they were introduced, lately has switched from subds to polys...) bearing in mind that managing and smoothing a polymodel to level3 aint a problem with wraps and actual hard and the limitations and bugs of subds on the rest of the production pipeline i do prefer polys over subds and would prefer nurbs if the trim trimmed instead of simply hide the geometry and there were a way to include nsided patches (or truly treat as one surfacea bunch of irregularly placed 4 sided individual patches when stiched ...) and including different curvature degrees along the same surface and...

-The game industry typically wants artists to do multiple jobs, while the VFX industry wants people doing a specific job all the time.
depends primarily on the SIZE of the departments of the enterprise on both industries, tipically most of the software companys are small and the vfx simply are very rarely done on small production facilities....

Last edited by dragonfx; 22-04-2004 at 12:18 PM.
# 11 22-04-2004 , 12:45 PM
What I don't get is.....if they gave you these questions for a final exam, they must've taught this stuff to you at some point during the course, didn't they? So, shouldn't you know these answers or have them in your notes somewhere?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."