Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-04-2006 , 04:19 PM

what is the best way to cut a ridge in something?

Well as the title says, I was wondering what the best way to cut a ridge in a polygon or a NURB?

Here is a picture of what I am modeling.
The ridge that I want to make in the model is the ridge in between the dell silver plate and the actual case. In other words, to make it look seperate from the case. But I would also like to apply the same thing to all the other ridges in the case.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-04-2006 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
You could try a bump or displacement map around the edges...that would make it appear as though the geometry was separate...and its a lot easier than trying to carve out each groove.

# 3 19-04-2006 , 04:49 PM
OK I could do that too, but I thought I would learn how to do it for future refrence and practice. Just so if I need how to do it in the future I know how!

so could anybody just please tell me how I would carve out a ridge in a NURB/Polygon?

# 4 19-04-2006 , 08:43 PM
nobody has any ideas on how to do it?

# 5 20-04-2006 , 08:32 PM
Could use the extrude faces command if you have the poly edges lined up with the geometry where you want the ridge

# 6 20-04-2006 , 09:03 PM
Cut faces.. or do an edge loop split with the MJ Poly tools user added image and then with the slide attribute you can move them close togheter and select the faces and scale them inwards..

edit* Thought you ment the line.. but like said above align the vertices properly and extrude it.