Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-08-2006 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber

Texture streching Poly->SubD

Hiya..

Simply question :

How do i texture Poly geometry which will be set to subD later?
I mean, if i texture it from a poly uv snapshot, everything looks great. But as soon as i convert to subD the nice texture is turning into crap. Straight line which are perfect in poly are completly messed up.

Any ideas?

cheers

mac

Attached Thumbnails

..the Force is with me (sometimes)
# 2 17-08-2006 , 12:44 AM
That just has to do with the UVs and how they change after you go to subdiv...

See the two lines that are near the corner on the cubey one, then when you sub-d the lines spread out and move backward, this pushes the texture out so that it matches the original UVs, and thus you get the bends. This can also be seen that the side UV comes backward, thus putting a curve on the side line.

You might be able to take the UV layout of the sub-d model and redo the texture over that UV layout in PS, and fix it from there...then it would look odd in the polygon mode, but look fine in the subd mode...give that a try, no guarentees though.

# 3 17-08-2006 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber

Thx

Thx for the info,

a tiny little moment i thought that there is a magic switch in Maya i am not aware of yet, or I'm simply to dumb.

Good to know that what i figuered out is correct.
I spend some time with fiddeling on the texture, but it's nearly impossible to fit it in the subd.
You may notice, when you try to 3d paint on the subD, it won't let you paint between the lines.

Can't i use a projection with a texture reference object, just as common with nurbs?

cheers

mac

..the Force is with me (sometimes)