Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-09-2008 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber

Warat Tribal Warrior Question?

Hi everyone
I have a Question that i would love to have answered if anyone knows the answer too it. The video Warat Tribal Warrior Tutorial is a great one, just let me say that first. But the question is that, all the tecniques used and ine creating that character, can it be used for gammimg purposes. The final completetion of that character can it be used to be programmed into a gamming system. That my goal to create a game someday on my own, but i guess i need to know if that the right way to creat a Gamming Character. Everything explained in the that video tutorial, can it all be used for a complete creation for a game character to be programmed into a game world. I hope this make sense or maybe someone can see what i'm trying to explain. and again, i love the tutorials, very simple to understand and follow compared to others i have seen and tried.
thanks for the help, tom

# 2 23-09-2008 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
I haven't seen the video but I presume it can be if it is just a normal, low-ish poly model.

Head over to Digital Tutors, there's a video series on using XNA and Maya to create a character and eventually use it in a simple game layout on the 360.

Sounds like what your after..

Chris

# 3 23-09-2008 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
when creating a model for a game you need to keep the poly count low. like under 10,000 triangles for a 'hero' model (model you expect players to pay attention to or that just stick out)
and other models should be below 2000 triangles

in otherwords, you should check the polycount of the final model you made and decide whether or not he's going to be a 'hero' model. as a rough guide, the citezen models in HL2 are under 3000 polys i think. the main characters are between 6000 and 9000

the reason why poly counts should be low is obvious... more polys there are the more processing you've got to do, and dont' expect everyone to have duel graphics cards.

10,000 polys isn't much when you want lots of detail, but thats why you have techniques such as texture/bump/normal/displacement/mip mapping

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 24-09-2008 , 08:21 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the reply, it does help certain other question that i had. but still the one question that didn't get answered, does the techniques and the model can it be used in a game. i guess i just need to know is that the right way to creat a game character. thanks and hope it makes sense. tom

# 5 24-09-2008 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
Again haven't seen the videos, but yes I would assume that it should be fine as long as it is not too high poly it should be fine.

Chris

# 6 25-09-2008 , 09:22 AM
Subscriber
thank you, and sorry for bieng a pain

# 7 25-09-2008 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber
you're not being a pain..

if you really want a specific tutuorial for game models on here then consider the low poly package....
although i really don't think there would be tooo much different. in game models you just have to keep a close eye on your poly count and not use really huge textures.... that's all... at least, that's what i've picked up

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D