Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-03-2009 , 06:22 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

Game longetivity

Is it me or games keep getting shorter and shorter(story mode) been idle this past week feeling abit lazy with maya i think i have cleared three games in 5 days . So why are they making these games so short i mean spend 3 years making a game last 7h then charge 60bucks seriously?? im i the only one who has noticed this but i must say far cry 2 was bang for buck....

# 2 06-03-2009 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber
its because kids these days are getting less and less attentive. and they prefer multiplayer games because it tends to have less thinking involved?

maybe they reason that the shorter the game the more you'll buy?

i do miss having a nice long 66 hour game to do everything and playing it over and over again.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 06-03-2009 , 01:45 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
oh my 66hour i think the onley game i've had that lasted that long was FF im not really a multiplayer kind of guy i actually play games for their stories and once im done uninstall....

# 4 06-03-2009 , 04:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
you could try an MMO
try and complete one of those in 7 hours :p

# 5 06-03-2009 , 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
I think in most games, visuals seem to be the most important of the content everything else is treated as fluff because its all about cool factor. Though I wasn't a big rpg nut I remember the days when when you'd have to read paragraph after paragraph and use your brain. At the risk of sounding ancient, technology has made us lazy and impatient and in some cases just plain stupid, so our entertainment has adapted.

- Genny
# 6 06-03-2009 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber
Games are way too easy and yet they still come with an "easy" option. Uncharted on the PS3 was a very good game but playing it on hard was so much more rewarding.

My step dad clocked COD 3 in less than 2.5 hours and was mighty ticked off with it as it cost £49.99.
the newer one lasted him 8 hours. He so used to own GAME stores with there 14 day returns option - I think he only bought a game every 7 months, and that was because he forgot to take one back. He just got the Sega Megadrive Collection on the PS3 and each of those games are taking him ages, and he say they are hard.

I also miss the save crystals that were in Tomb Raider 1. Who had to think ~ Do I save now or try and solve the next puzzle first ~ not knowing when you`ll see another one. They so should bring that back.

I love the final Fantasys because with longer game play you get more involved with the characters (well apart from ff12 - what was up with that one - to easy), which I find I don`t care about in most action games these days - well apart from Gears of War - which I had to play again as soon as I finished it.

But then again I hate it when games get to same-ee, just repeating stuff over and over

# 7 06-03-2009 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by tweetytunes

But then again I hate it when games get to same-ee, just repeating stuff over and over

I bought assassins creed for the pc, played a few boards until I noticed how repetative the game was, I was pretty angry, so now it sits in it's case next to my computer unused because every new place you go to you do exactly the same thing with all the same moves. I was pretty dissapointed with the game and I had such high expectations.

MGS4 for PS3 was by far one of the best games I've played in a while, I'm off to play Drakes Fortune soon, it came with my PS3 that I got during christmas and I haven't played it yet, it's still in it's plastic but I keep hearing good things about it so I have to play it now.

I'm always a fan of COD games, WaW is pretty cool. The games would be pretty useless to me if they didn't have the online mode which is the only reason to keep them around after beating the game.

I don't play many games, these 3 I mentioned are probably the only games I've played in over a year.... oh yeah and Tiger Woods '09 for the Wii is pretty kick ass to.

# 8 06-03-2009 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by murambi
oh my 66hour i think the onley game i've had that lasted that long was FF im not really a multiplayer kind of guy i actually play games for their stories and once im done uninstall....

haha, FF7 was the game i was refering to :p

i spent 200+ hours on FF8 FF9 and FF10, damn card games, blitz ball and stat grinding...
ff12 was overly easy... it gets tot eh point where you don't need to watch the game anymore. at some point you can actually leave the game for a few days, come back and you're level 99.

i think at some point i had assassins creed on my computer but i stopped playing after 11 minutes or so because it just crashed... this is why i prefer console games :p

i like the MGS games... althoguh short they are still awesome for the 12 hours they last for....

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 9 07-03-2009 , 05:20 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
well with pc atleast you get your visual yum yum...also a friend tells me microsoft own part of gamespot never trust their reviews again "gears of war 2 geat game,refreshing yadda yada yada blah blah blah .......

# 10 07-03-2009 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone

i like the MGS games... althoguh short they are still awesome for the 12 hours they last for....

The one thing I didn't like about 4 was there were cutscenes that seemed to last an hour and it just starts to get a bit aggrevating, play for 30 minutes watch a long cut scene play again for 5 minutes another cut scene, play for an hour long cut scene, I don't mind 5 minutes of movie or whatever but it was just overkill with the video I think. You do have the option to skip but I didn't want to miss any of the story line so I had to watch long videos whether I wanted to sit there the whole time and watch or not... /rant

# 11 07-03-2009 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber
murambi: that's just halarious :lmao:

R Camel: that sounds like it would get aggrivating (i still don't have a ps3...)
if i remember right, the whole idea of MGS was a cinematic game...

my cousin who works at jb hi fi said that they had a demo of mgs4 playing and then this woman complained that it was too violent, and then they switched it to devil may cry 4 and she was happier with that
bizzare since i think the dmc demo had blood in it while mgs4 didn't

# 12 07-03-2009 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
yeah mgs is cinematic I knew this going into it having played MGS1 and 2 (somehow missed 3) but because of all the space on bluray I think they wanted to go crazy, it was funny about half way through the game Otacon comes on the screen and says something like, Time to switch disks, oh wait games are on blu ray they're dual layer there is no second disc, what will they come up with next?
That made me laugh a little while playing.
Overall the game play and the videos were really good, just frustrating at times

# 13 07-03-2009 , 10:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I dont mind the long cutsences as long as you can pause them, theres nothing worse than getting a phone call in the middle of a 30min cut scene

# 14 07-03-2009 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber
well you can hit the start button to pause where you have an option to skip or continue the cut scene so you can pause so thats a plus for you if you're interested in the game. I know when I play through the game again I'll be skipping all the cut scenes

# 15 08-03-2009 , 03:22 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
to be honest i luuuv the long cut scens its what i always liked about mgs it always riles up emotional themes with me but they say this is not the last mgs just that they killed off snake.....