Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-12-2007 , 05:48 AM

problem - bender drinking beer

hey everybody,

i've got a problem animating my bender-model:
this is my model:
pre
(i don't know how to scale the pic in the [img] tags)

the point is, that whenever i try to move the arm upwards the beer bottle deforms like that:

after moving the arm

the bottle is combined to the body. how do i move the arm without deforming the bottle? i tried to fix it with the skin weight tool, but when using the brush, the bottle deforms too.

deformation before using the skin weight brush

deformation after using the skin weight brush

would be great if someone helps me out with this.

thx & cheers,
d

# 2 01-12-2007 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
If you separate the bottle from Bender, and then use a parent constraint on it you will be able to pick it up with put having to worry about painting weights etc.

Hope this helps.

Chris

# 3 01-12-2007 , 07:11 PM
Just as bendingiscool suggested, that is the proper way to do props or objects that are going to interact with the character.

Given the fact that your approach is different, you want to make sure that the bottle is not being influenced by any joint. Just black out the bottle when you paint the weights on the joints, under "paint skin weights tool".

EA Games
# 4 01-12-2007 , 09:03 PM
you are right, thx... it can be that simple. solved the problem by making the bottle a child of the hand-joint.

now bender can drink his beer... ^^

i have a new problem:
i placed an emitter to benders mouth, which "spits" some particles after drinking. how can i make the particles look like fire? (or in case of the cigar like smoke) is there a way to texture them?

many thx for your help so far!

cheers,
d