Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-04-2003 , 04:41 AM

Attaching Surfaces Query

Hello, Guys

Posted below is a screenshot of two surfaces, I would love to know how to attach without losing the corner on the lower left part of it.

As of now, it´s 3 surfaces. I created a basic shape, then extracted the lower part -hence the change in material-, and then extended the higher one, which also got extracted. As of now the all have the same UV direction, and spans. This was just a placeholder to ilustrate my problem.

How could I go about attaching these two surfaces without losing that corner?

Thanks,

# 2 18-04-2003 , 04:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
I don't think you'd be able to keep it one shape and maintain that sharp a corner unless you really added a bunch of isoparms right there to keep it sharp.

If it had to be nurbs, looks like a patch model situation.

# 3 18-04-2003 , 05:01 AM
If it were a patch model situation, I would have to group the patches, no way of stitching them together right? so for rigging, animation purposes, how do I avoid the whole thing breaking apart?

# 4 18-04-2003 , 05:24 AM
The Maya Mountain
convert to polys. user added image

Seriously, that's what I'd do.

# 5 18-04-2003 , 06:02 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
convert to polys. user added image

Seriously, that's what I'd do.

Taken into account.
I just wanted to see how far I could solve it.

Thanks for answering Mike.

# 6 18-04-2003 , 06:12 AM
The Maya Mountain
I suppose another option might be to use a linear surface, but it's not very smooth.

# 7 18-04-2003 , 06:22 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I suppose another option might be to use a linear surface, but it's not very smooth.

I´ll investigate a bit that option, even though talking in workflow issues, it might be better to convert to poly at the stage I´m at.
Again, thanks for taking this into consideration.

# 8 19-04-2003 , 12:03 AM

Attaching Surfaces Query

Hello again,

What you see below is a screen of the actual model I´m working on.
See the knees? I would like to attach those two spheres, without getting the results you can see in the screenshot. I realize I could tweak the hell out of those two by inserting Isoparms, however I wanted to see if there could be another way.

Both spheres have their normals facing outwards, seams are paralel, same spans, and surface direction is also the same on both. That´s why the attach works. I just want to see if I could mantain a bit the knee configuration.

How would you do it?
btw: The Nurbs Shark tutorial is worth gold, be sure to download it people.

# 9 19-04-2003 , 12:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
I think you want to add a few isoparms in the joint area.

# 10 19-04-2003 , 12:22 AM
Where would you add them Mike?
You can use the same pic

I suppose they should go near the joint and then cut through one of those instead of the ones I´m using now right? That should hold it together better perhaps.

# 11 19-04-2003 , 01:21 AM
Hmm, after taking into account Mike´s advise I just created one more pair of Isoparms, and then attached. Worked perfectly. Seems a good attach.
Want to keep everything clean. Learning tons by the way.

# 12 19-04-2003 , 02:27 AM

More on the Nurbs saga

Here we go again,

As you might notice in the next image I tried to go for a bit more complicated attachment. If you look at the image you´ll notice the patches might line up -since they were created taking that into account-, spans are the same, so I tried this approach. I extracted key Isoparms, on both the leg and the foot, and attached them by using the Attach Surfaces action -blend option on-.
As you might notice it looks like a clean attach, however as per the rest of the patches I don´t have the slighlest clue about how I might work it out.
Don´t worry about the sole, I´ll mind that one later.

How would you work out this attachment?

# 13 19-04-2003 , 04:37 AM

Membrane

Hello again,

NURBS modelling is actually more rewarding than it looks like. I seem to have problems all over, but I´m not frustrated yet. As a matter of fact, I noticed one of the errors I had, might even be used for something like a wing membrane or such. -Obviously by someone who does know what he´s are doing-

In any case, I´m posting that pic up just for the fun of it. You guys might crack a laugh at it.

In my next post I´m posting a Maya 4.5 MB file, in hopes that someone might get the stitch right. If they do, please post how in this same thread. Information collected here, might go into a tutorial similar to the Shader one in the future so please give it a try.

Regards,

# 14 19-04-2003 , 04:42 AM

The MB file itself

Maya Ver. 4.5 Binary file

Give it a try if you´re actually confident that you might make it, if you haven´t had much experience with NURBS, I suggest leaving this one alone, as it might give you a headache. user added image

Leg Sphere has Spans UV 8 | 8
Foot Sphere has Spans UV 4 | 4

Can rebuild if needed, normals are okay.

# 15 19-04-2003 , 06:31 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm a little confused as to why you would need to patch model this. It seems like something that could be made with the same legs object.