Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-11-2003 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber

Aligning vertices?

Hi,

Is there a way to align selected vertices, horizontally or vertically?

Thanks,
Dan

# 2 18-11-2003 , 01:40 AM
Use the scale tool, should work good for you.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 18-11-2003 , 02:03 AM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Generally that's what I use, however sometimes the selection is at an angle, likewise the scale tool is also at an angle. The results are produced from that odd angle. What I have to do from this point is take the rotate tool and rotate to either the x or y plane.

I hate to use Adobe Illustrator as an example since it is 2D, but it too has x & y coordinates. In Illustrator, I can select any number of points and average them all to either the x or y plane. It's perfectly straight.

It seems with the scale tool, I have a few steps and I'm guessing whether the selected vertices are perfectly straight or not.

The scale tool is fine, but I was wondering if there was another method.

Thanks for your expertise,
Dan

# 4 18-11-2003 , 02:28 AM
Poly or nurbs smooth tool would work also just use it a low level.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 18-11-2003 , 03:38 AM
# 6 18-11-2003 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt, that's a helpful alternative.

Just curious, if one is using Maya to create something with a lot of hard edges and exact alignment, such as a building does one refer to the scale tool? Perhaps, it is in the way I'm using it, but it seems I sort of eyeball it...meaning that it appears straight but I have no coordinate menu to verify it. Or do I?

In the case of a building, wouldn't that be necessary?

Your ( or anyone's ) thought's are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

# 7 18-11-2003 , 03:41 AM
I use scale all the time for lining up straight edges

# 8 18-11-2003 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
mtmckinley, thanks for the thread. Just learned something new. I wasn't aware that there were other viewpoints. Now going through all of them, I forgotten the default. I'm assuming it's world?

I really intend to download more tutorials about Maya. After the Dragon tut, I started my own model and I wanted to reach a stopping point. Due to my real job that stopping point has been prolonged. Nevertheless, I'll post in a day or two and then proceed with some tuts which I then can apply to my model.

again, thanks everyone.

# 9 18-11-2003 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, Kurt. I appreciate your help. :-)