Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-09-2004 , 02:17 PM

Lighting, Please Help!

Hope someone can help with this. Here’s my issue:

I have a very large scene and I just recently discovered the envMapLight (formerly sky.mll) script and I love the renders it produces – except my textures all look flat. The problem is bump maps. Obviously – since there are no lights physically placed in my scene there’s no light for a bump map to calculate results from.

I’ve tried including point or directional lights at low intensities with raytracing on in addition to envMapLight, but no dice. I get either too bright a scene or not bright enough, and still no bump maps. I really want to continue using envMapLight – but does rayDiffuse have better options for my problem? I’m at a loss, and pulling my hair out with trying to get good GI (without MR) on this scene.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

# 2 20-09-2004 , 04:13 PM
can you post some examples? I've never used envMapLight before, is it a plugin? if so what does it do? I thought the env stuff was soley for relfections etc but I could be wrong.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 20-09-2004 , 04:40 PM
It's a lighting plug-in found over at highend3d.com - it used to be called sky.mll.

Here's an example of my problem:

user added image

# 4 21-09-2004 , 07:05 PM
I think what I found is bascially happening is the envMapLight thing is just using ambient lighting in a fancy way (like rayDiffuse) to make the scene look "soft and fuzzy".

The problem of course, is how to get my bumps back, since ambient lighting doesn't show bump maps.

# 5 22-09-2004 , 03:55 PM
Anyone?

I don't mean to bump my own thread here, but I really could use some help, this is driving me crazy user added image

# 6 22-09-2004 , 04:05 PM
to be honest with you I've never used this plugin so I can't say for sure a way to deal with it.

One thing that is occuring to me though is to make sure that "use default" light is turned off in the render globals as that adds a flat ambient light to everything in your scene...

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 23-09-2004 , 01:29 AM
Would changing the bump to displacement work? I know it doesn't really solve your bump map problem but it seems to me like it might be one solution anyhow.

Good luck!

Dave

# 8 23-09-2004 , 01:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
One thing about any sort of GI thing is if you don't have a light source that is stronger than the rest, it's essentially a glorified ambient light, which bump maps won't work with.

You might try toning the GI down if possible and using some strong, main lights in addition to them in order to... "bump" your bump. user added image

# 9 23-09-2004 , 02:13 PM
Thanks for the help everyone - but I'm thinking I may just have to live with that particular scene bumpless (which is killing me!). I've been working on this exact problem for three weeks now, and it's making me just exhausted and stressed out.

I've tried several, several methods from depth to raytrace to GI_Joe (which won't work right in a command line render) to domeGI to rayDiffuse (couldn't get the rayLight working) to combinations of them to everything else.

I notice on many of those "soft" looking renders you see out and about, they also don't have any bump in them, so I'm not sure what's up. I also don't know how to tone down the GI, since I'm using envMapSky (formerly sky.mll) and it's poorly documented for my n00bhood.