Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-05-2005 , 01:29 PM

The cost of displacement

I've been thinking about trying Zbrush on my next project but I'm a little concerned about the render time.

Question: Does a displacement map cause extended rendering times when using raytracing?

I've seen some amazing renderings on the Zbrush website but I can't help but wonder if they take too much time to be practical for animators who don't have access to a large renderfarm and cant afford a half hour or more per frame to render on their own machines....

# 2 03-06-2005 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber
disp takes time to render with or without raytracing.

but, depending on your machine and how large your disp maps are, it should not take that long for a disp map to render.

i have a model with 5 disp maps on him and it takes about 1 min to see some test renders @640 resolution, and im running a 1.0 ghz PIII machine.

it really depends on how much disp you're rendering. you can lower the disp on shots away from the cam, and crank them back up for close up shots.
good luck.

# 3 04-06-2005 , 01:01 AM
Thanks for the info, Vladimirjp!