Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-09-2006 , 06:02 AM

CONVERTING POLY TO SUB 'D'S

I AM WORKING ON A FIGURE JUST TO EXTEND MYSELF. SO I HAVE BEEN JOINING A LEG ONTO A TORSO AND THEN AFTER A TIDY IT REFUSED TO CONVERT FROM POLY TO SUB D', SEVERAL TIMES CLAIMING THAT 'NONMANIFOLD GEOMETRY CANNOT BE CONVERTED. IT SUGESTED THAT I USE 'CLEAN POLY' ... AND THIS SHOWED THE AREA OF OFFENCE, SEVERAL OF THE FACES AROUND THE GROIN AREA WERE NOT CONECTED AT ALL FACES AND VERTICES, SO I WENT THRU AN EXTENCIVE PROCESS OFF MERGING, FIRST VERTICES AND THEN EDGES IT FINALY DID CONVERT TO A SUB D BUT THE SUB IS READING ALL THESE INDIVIDUAL FACES AS EDGES AND MAKING THEM ALL ISLANDS, SO THERE ARE ALOT OF HOLES IN THE TOP OF MY LEG. HUH!
IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO REPAIR THIS
IS THIS A RESULT OF DELETING FACES AND EXTRUDING EDGES DURING THE TIDY OF THE GROIN AREA AFTER I JOINED THE LEG AND TORSO (USED A BOOLEAN)user added image

# 2 28-09-2006 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber

I had the same problem

I know this post is abit old,, so you've probably found a solution.

I had this problem while doing the DRAGON TUTORIAL . The legs joined ok, but when it came to the wing it came up with the error you got. Suggesting that some edges were non-manifold. I spent hours selecting and moving vertices and edges to see what was going on. And in the end, for some reason I looked at the normals. Don't know why. But the normals on my seperate wing object were reversed (facing into the model) so I reversed the normals so they were facing out and then recombined the wing to the body, merged vertices. Then when I converted to Sub-D all was ok.

IN SHORT When you get errors to do with non-manifold geometry not converting, try looking at your face normals as well. The CLEANUP tool doesn't always work and doesn't offer anything to cleanup normals.

ABOUT BOOLEANS I don't know if what I did will work for you as you used a boolean, booleans are famous in all modelling programs for creating unexpected results.

HOW I DID IT When I joined my legs, to the body, the toes to the feet and the wing to the body I insert the object to be joined (wing) into the body slightly, then use SPLIT POLY on the body around the wing. Delete the faces not needed. Then combine, merge vertices and then convert.

It does show you both the boolean technique and the method I used above in the DRAGON TUTORIAL. But with any modelling it's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by Wraithe; 28-09-2006 at 07:41 PM.
# 3 28-09-2006 , 07:25 PM
I had the same problem. only option. delet it and do it again. be sure about merge vertex. and some clean up for next time. that is only option i think.

:bow:
# 4 28-09-2006 , 07:48 PM
Subscriber

That is another way

Thats one way to do I guess, lol. When I come across problems, like for say......... windows, I normally end up reformatting then re-installing. But after modelling for X amount of years I found that the is more than one solution to a problem. And to be honest, if you spend that much time on a model, I wouldn't fancy deleting it then starting again, or even part of it.

But that problem bruce was getting sounds like the problem I was having, it doesn't mention anything about normals, so who would have thought that was where the problem lies. Well thatswas the problem in my case anyhoo.

Regards

Wraithe

Last edited by Wraithe; 29-09-2006 at 09:59 AM.
# 5 29-09-2006 , 08:01 AM

thanksfor taking the time for me

its been a while now i sought of put that model down and moved on to another just thrashing about trying to find a modeling system that fits with me, having alsoughts of other problems in all soughts of directions but it sound like there is something worth a look so i'll have a go and see iff it gets me somewhere ... i did actualy do as "3danimationmaya" sugested and start again but i did keep the one i was haveing probs with (started trying to do the head and hands) ... i am very new to this and subsequently only learning about mesh quality thru trial and error but here is low grade image for ref ... ps cool dragon ... so many poly'suser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 29-09-2006 , 09:02 PM

i now remember how i got it to work so

for any one who cares this was how i got around it ... i set my edge to show so i could work out where they were and this revealed that they were all over the place in these areas (sugesting that when i had combined the legs to the torso, while they had become one object they had not fully combined and that there were lots of edges that were still not attached i was able to go through them and useing "edit poly>merge vertices" join all the loose edges. im currently at work but if i have a saved version of that stage i will post picture to articulate what i have said ... this may be just another way to skin this cat ... i wouldnt mind knowing what the initial error was that set me down this path tho, i figure it was me that started the trouble "there is no such thing as stupid Maya only stupid user":blush: