Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-07-2008 , 12:14 PM

Bluethunder's Mansion (Interior Pieces)

Hello everyone! I'm making this thread for the interior pieces of my mansion scene which I'm going to make (once I get a pretty big collection of furniture models, etc.)

So, I'm making this thread to show you all the various un-proffesional models that I've created.

So far for the mansion, I've modeled:
  • Basic Chair
  • Basic Table
  • Water Fountain
  • Couch
  • Simple Trashcan

Thats that, and I'll include a few screenshots in the next post.

Comments and criticisms please!

PS- Remember that I am a relatively new user (am not very good at modeling yet) and also I have Maya 8.5 PLE so all my renders will be watermarked user added image Thanks again.

# 2 27-07-2008 , 12:16 PM
Here is a picture of a couch.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-07-2008 , 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Better than a lot of the crap I did when I first started lol. Can't be too heavy on the crit either since you're new, wireframes please.

- Genny
# 4 27-07-2008 , 03:07 PM
Thank you :p

Uhm.. How would I go about giving you a wire frame? Would I take a screenshot of the model, and then crop out everything but the perspective view?

Also, here is a water fountain...

I know that the top part looks nothing like water. I will work to fix that later on I think... If I have the time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 27-07-2008 , 03:11 PM
Attached is a render of a very basic table:

EDIT: It kind of looks like the table leg closest to the camera is not recieving as much light as the other 3.. I used directional lights, is that why?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Bluethunder; 27-07-2008 at 03:16 PM.
# 6 27-07-2008 , 03:14 PM
And here is a render of a small trashcan.. Ehm.. Yeah, this one is kind of embarrasing lol.. all it really looks like is a cylindar that's been extruded...

I was hoping I could possibly uh.. texture it somehow, but that would seem pointless for such a simple model..

How can I spice this up?

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 27-07-2008 , 03:19 PM
Here, as requested is a wireframe of the couch. It is kind of hard to see... but the pillows are the dense blob of wires (thats what I get for converting from NURBS)

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 27-07-2008 , 03:23 PM
'Sorry for all these posts in a row.. :headbang:

I don't know if there's a way I can attach multiple pictures in one post. Sooo... Last for today, a bathroom (without a shower or anything)

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 27-07-2008 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
There is no way to attach multiple images through the forum in one post. That is so that there is not heavy bandwidth leeching from the servers.
Any who, things are starting to shape up good. As for your trash can, or any of the models for that matter. If you aren't too happy with them, or they aren't spiced up enough for ya, I might suggest spending more time on them adding more detail. All the tedious stuff really. What really adds the shine is the detail work. Modeling, post production, renders.
Are you modeling so simply for game usage or are you going for photorealistic? Or better yet, have you done some concept art, or stylistic design that could lend itself to a design?

Those are all things I'd recommend thinking about, and deciding on before you start a project. Even when your starting out, if you know what you want to achieve, you have marks that you can track. And when you look back, you will have things that worked, that didnt work, and things you'd just flat out do differently.

I hope any of that helps.
Cheers!
Alexander

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 10 27-07-2008 , 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Don't sweat it. In order to post multiple images you'd have to use an image hosting site (at one point I was wondering if there was something I was missing lol). Also, thats one way of showing a wireframe, another less messy way is to toggle on wireframe on shaded (Shading> Wireframe on Shaded). About the trashcan, the model doesn't have to complex to look good in a scene, so by all means, texture it if it gives you the look you want. I will say one thing though, you need to consider proportion, that door is really small compared to the toilet.

- Genny
# 11 28-07-2008 , 05:25 AM
Thank you, alexanderH and GecT for your great comments.

I will resize that door, heheh.. It was the right proportion earlier, I guess I forgot to change that when I was scaling things.. Thanks!

And, I'm not modeling for games, because the game I'm making right now is in 2D (couldn't handle 3D games back then, when I chose a game engine) so I would probably be going more for photorealistic.

Not like super proffesional, but I suppose my goal would be to be able to model at least relatively photorealistically.

# 12 28-07-2008 , 06:32 AM
Okay, here is a chair... It's not great, and the lighting could use some improvement I think.. I don't know how to cast shadows, which I will need to learn eventually -.-

Anyways, it's attached. c&c please! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 28-07-2008 , 07:03 AM
okay, here is a picture of an LCD TV (widescreen) 16:9 aspect ratio. Eh.. It's not good whatsoever, but I can't really tell why... I'll have to go stare at my TV for a long time again...

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 28-07-2008 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
so far so good.
What I might recommend about photo-realism is that your models are going to need much more detail. From Experience, photo-realism requires much study of light; how it bounces, how it behaves with different surfaces, how it reflects. Further research will lead you down the path of materials and environments. Materials get complicated because you have to start considering the finish, how clean the object is, where it is, things like dust, humidity and other such variables.
While you are definitely starting on a good track I'd recommend finding a picture(photo) or an actual room, and aim to build a part of it, recreate the lights and materials that you see and keep at it until you have something that looks like what you see. It is a long learning process, but it is very rewarding in the end.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 15 28-07-2008 , 07:09 AM
Yes, that does sound complicated. I have a feeling that actually learning how to do lighting (rather than placing a couple lights around so that you can see it) would be helpful.

And, my materials also are very simple materials, but I know that I'll get better with practice. Thanks for the advice user added image

As for showing wire frames.. I'm stuck! I know I could take a screenshot and all, but... uhm.. GecT, you said that I should turn on "Wireframe on Shaded" and I did that, but when I render it, it still doesn't show the wireframe... (or am I not supposed to render it?) Me is confused -.-