Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-06-2009 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber

Hitchhikers Guide UT3 Map

Hey guys,
Ive almost finished my course in Unreal Editor (Gnomon Online course) and its time to start making a map from scratch. So the plan is to make all the artwork in maya, textures will be a mix of photoshop and possibly mudbox as i should really learn to sculpt more (for normal maps).

Im still debating if i should do a vogon room or the heart of gold as they are complete opposites when it comes to design and style.

But stay tuned will have some updates in the next few days.

T

# 2 17-06-2009 , 12:37 AM
test

thanks

Last edited by mhs; 17-06-2009 at 02:15 AM.
# 3 17-06-2009 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
:rant:

Originally posted by mhs
There is other engine you could use,
Gnom is very expensive, the course you took was 1,600.00.
you can learn unreal in the net for free (tutorial).
Anyway

dude, let's face it, you can learn anything for "free"

if unreal is anything like source then that means you can't be really creative because no resources online is going to show you how to do something different to make-a-map-that-uses-all-the-stuff-you-can-find-in-game-and-use-all-the-predefined-in-game-things

and if the kids who make mods for unreal are anything like the kids who make mods for source then not a single one of them will ever know anything past the basics and will tell you to bugger off and read a wiki which is almost completely useless and doesn't tell you what you need to know

... $US1600 really isn't that much money, and i would expect to pay about that much anyway for something like that,
unless you're just another kid who's just fooling around and not actually doing anything, in which case it does cost more than a few games.

and anyway, some people like to have someone show them the basics before they start getting creative

</:rant:>

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 17-06-2009 , 01:34 AM
Test

thanks

Last edited by mhs; 17-06-2009 at 02:15 AM.
# 5 17-06-2009 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
yes, i do have $1600 to spare, and no i wont give it to you because you probably wont give me anything in return

Originally posted by mhs
by the way, your avatar is from free tutorial from gnom.

...duh...
never said it wasn't
O_o

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 17-06-2009 , 01:44 AM
Test

thanks

Last edited by mhs; 17-06-2009 at 02:16 AM.
# 7 17-06-2009 , 02:34 AM
... whats up with this mhs kid? :p

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 8 17-06-2009 , 02:43 AM
Nuff said?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 9 17-06-2009 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
Hah - yea i could have learnt the software for free however it doesnt teach you how to design a level or get you to ask an expert exact questions your having problems with. As the kismet system can be very tricky.

I actually highly recommend the course. Waylon Brinck is the instructor and he is really good with feedback and teaching you how to make the level believable he has also given loads of info on how to get into the industry. He is a technical art director on an unannoucned EA Games title in LA so has loads of usful info tips and tricks that lots of other people wouldnt have as well as a really good contact for the future.

The only thing missing from the course is how to make game assets but its into to unreal not intro to environment art.

Anyway - I think i may actually make both (using the movie as a reference) - starting with the Vogon Washroom as everything is boxy and grimey (everything is cubes!!). The contrast to this is the ship, SS Heart of Gold, which is all circles and white / clean and futuristic and i think harder so will leave it to last user added image.

Last edited by bigtommyb; 17-06-2009 at 07:28 AM.
# 10 18-06-2009 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
ok made a start with reference images and basic planning. Going to layout the bsp walls this weekend and start working on basic wall textures, if only i didnt have to work ^_^.

Yet to decide if i will create a mesh for the walls or just use a texture will most likley do both and see what works best.

Map

Shower Reference

Toilets Reference

# 11 19-06-2009 , 08:29 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys i managed to find a couple of hours last night to work on it so have the main bsp layout roughed in and ive created my first bit of mesh.... The Skirting! so here it is.

user added image

Not the flashiest piece of work but does the job. Im going to do the main tiled walls as a single texture. Ive done one already but i dont like it so currently re doing it.

Tom

If anyone can spot the mistake +10 brownie points!

# 12 19-06-2009 , 03:11 PM
Technical Director

Originally posted by bigtommyb
If anyone can spot the mistake +10 brownie points!

The texture stretching on the left beveled side? user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 13 19-06-2009 , 05:33 PM
that, and the criss-crosses are going the wrong way

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 14 19-06-2009 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber
Hah - no its not streatching its just the angle of the render when its viewed from an in game perspective it looks fine.

but +10 brownie points to joopson - i put the criss crosses the wrong way. makes little to no difference imo so wont bother fixing it.

More soon.