Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 22-04-2010 , 12:13 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Chirone: haha, thanks man. It is a bit cringe worthy!

stwert: lol... I know what you mean. I was sat sculpting it with my legs crossed... user added image Thanks for the comments!

Steve: Yeah, thanks man. I'm hoping it'll all fit together. I'm going to use the same type of armour for his arms, and probably his chest.

tweety: You snooze, you lose... it's my idea now! :p

Nah, thanks man. The jaws of the leg armour protrude out from the leg, so his knees probably wouldn't get hurt when he moved around. But I do know what you mean, and I'm wondering if I should change. I'll give it a play in ZB... see what happens. Thanks for the feedback man.

Gonna do more work on his armour later today!

Thanks again!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 47 22-04-2010 , 12:53 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
man this is absolutely amazing

# 48 22-04-2010 , 01:11 PM
The thin red line
Hi Steve
I dont think I want to get inside your head LOL..........looking great need some machanics about it may be a thick belt holding up the middle bit and some steel rings holding the other bits together this would allow some movement.............dave

# 49 22-04-2010 , 10:28 PM
Murambi: Thanks man!

Dave: Yeah, once the armour is done I'm going to put in the straps and linkages. Thanks for the feedback.

Retopologised and detailed the thigh guards. Might have to do the same for the groin guard... then I'll work on the arms and so on.

user added image

user added image

Thanks!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 50 22-04-2010 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
This is looking wicked! Did you make that armour straight in Zbrush, or did you make some low poly object in maya and then sculpt in z?

# 51 22-04-2010 , 10:49 PM

Originally posted by ben hobden
This is looking wicked! Did you make that armour straight in Zbrush, or did you make some low poly object in maya and then sculpt in z?

Nah, It's all in ZB. Just sculpted a mesh extract of the minotaur's leg, then retopoed it so I could crank up the detail.

I did bring the mesh into Maya when I first retopoed it, just so I could check the mesh was water tight, but all the work was done in ZB.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 52 22-04-2010 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Ah, it looks great. Im not really down pat with the more advanced zb techniques and retopolagising(sp?).

There was a zbrush character sculpting course on CG Society I wanted to get on, but it filled up. I signed up for Jeremy Birn's Lighting and Rendering workshop instead. One day with the Zbrush one.... ...one day...

...looking forward to seeing how this progresses, particularly in how you do the fur.

# 53 23-04-2010 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber
holly S*$%

Might just have to pull out (Only joking)

Very good work

# 54 25-04-2010 , 02:27 AM
ben hobden: Retopologising (I'm not sure if there is an official spelling) is pretty simple.

One day? eeek. Wouldn't want to learn all that in one day, but let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the comments!

Tweety: Thanks man!

Well. I was busy yesterday, but I got in a bit of time this evening. I just got the forearm guards blocked out. They still need to retopo them, so there's no real detail as of yet.

user added image

user added image

All this high detail Armour is really cranking up the polycount! It's sitting just over 10mil Polys! I still have the rest of the armour to sculpt, plus all the fur details, and the weapons. hehe, I'm guessing it's all going to come in at just under 20mil!

Well, I'm going to retopo the forearm guards, then detail them up. Then it's off to sculpt the shoulder guards.
user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 25-04-2010 at 02:29 AM.
# 55 25-04-2010 , 08:20 AM
The thin red line
Hi Steve
Comming together nicely, could we have a shot of your whole model ..............dave

# 56 25-04-2010 , 04:07 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
Hehe, I don't think he'd be able to walk much.
Maybe redesign the amour, it looks overly done and complex and not consistant with the overall look of the character. Maybe look at some of the blizzard creature for more refs.

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 57 25-04-2010 , 05:20 PM
Hey Dave, Thanks for the comments. I will post some full body shots when I next update. Cheers!

Vlad, thanks for the feedback. I'm making sure all the armour pieces wont obstruct each other, so movement wont be any more limited than most bulky armour designs. I think it might be a bit too late in the game to redesign the armour. Especially if i want ample time to sculpt the character himself. I kinda like the feel of the armour so far. Once the other pieces are put into place across his body, it might sync up better.

But I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 58 09-05-2010 , 02:48 PM
Sorry Tweety and everyone, but I was unable to finish my Minotaur on time. I moved house in the last few days, and haven't had my computer set up for awhile, I managed to get some done yesterday, and some this morning, but that was all work trying to finish his armour. So I was unable to do the fur or his weapons on time.. Plus I'm stilling having to travel to my parents house to post.

Even though I didn't manage to finish him on time, I plane on working on him in the next few days, and getting him fully finished, and I will still post here or in the WIP section for crits.

Anyway, I figured i would post what I have so far as my submission.

user added image

user added image

user added image

Like I said, still lots of work that needed to be done, but I just couldn't squeeze it in.

Thanks

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 59 09-05-2010 , 04:45 PM
The thin red line
Hi Steve
Nice modelling shame you could not finish on time. Once im on track will post my model in finish work still learning all the new bits in zbrush 3.5 r3...........dave

# 60 09-05-2010 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber
Right texting of my phone - I also have moved home this weekend but there is no internet.

I think if its ok with Mayaniac we will add one week - Sunday 16th as I have done alot more work just cant post any of it with no internet and PC currently in 4 boxes.

I really would like to see this one till the end.

Tweety