Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-01-2011 , 11:26 AM

CV curve tool + Loft: troubles

Hi guys, please I need your help, I don't work in 3d modeling, but I must do a simple work with Maya 2011.

I need to create a column with a custom based, for example a column with a star as a based, or a cross, a kind of flower... So it's like a cylinder but the base is not a circle, but a custom border: understood?

A tell you how i've done it (but it's not exactly what I want):

I've the image of the border style, so i've create a CV curve with the shape of the symbol.

I've duplicated this curve and use LOFT to create the "walls".

The problem now are two:
1) there are no bottom and top surfaces, so it's like a tunnel, but i need the two covers.

2) If I scale it, it doesn't scale on both the borders... I mean, if I scale a cylinder, both the left and right covers get closer (or further) the middle of the object, instead in my object only one cover tends to reach the other one (that is fixed): understood?

How can I have both physical covers, and have a Scale like a poligon cylinder?

Hoping in your user added image I thank you in advance.

# 2 14-01-2011 , 06:22 PM
Hello rapanello,

You may want to use the "create polygon" tool to create the shape of the base and then extrude that polygon face to create the volume. Remember to use the split polygon tool after creating the base shape to make the initial surface all quads.

It should be easier to stick with the polygon tools as a beginner. The NURBs tools are a bit more difficult.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 14-01-2011 , 08:30 PM
Thanks with you hint I've build the column with the 2 covers ;-) I started with a plane, transform it, and than Extrude it...

The problem now is that if I try to Scale the object it scales only by one side...As I said in the previous post, here there's only one edge who get closer or further the opposite one...

And I need to have a reScale like for a cylinder polygon...

Did you understand? Any help?

Thanks thanks!

# 4 14-01-2011 , 09:20 PM
Sounds like the object pivot and possibly history may be causing what you are describing. Both are easily fixed.

1. Select "edit>delete>all by type>history" // This will remove the history on the base

Select the base then
2. Select "modify/center pivot" // This centers the object pivot

This should fix your scaling problem. Also, note that the // symbols and the text following are comments.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 14-01-2011 at 10:47 PM.
# 5 14-01-2011 , 09:35 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!! Thank you sooo much!!! You save my life ;-)