Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-02-2003 , 01:39 PM

Jiggle deformer and softbodies...

I read that Maya has Jiggle deformers and softbodies, and I've got a reallllly basic knowledge of softbodies, and so, here's my question.

I'm trying to (for the heck of it) animate an obese creature (since there's no way I can actually draw a human that looks human). My question is, how would I set up certain parts of the body to 'jiggle' so to speak with movement? Do I set up a skeleton joint for it? Like a beer belly, would I just model the whole thing with beer belly, man(creature)boobs, etc and add a skeleton joint for the protrusion? How can I make it 'move' realistically as a reaction to the rest of the body moving?

How would the Jiggle deformer come into play?

Been searching for the past few weeks on the Net, this place seems to be the liveliest place for Maya questions user added image

user added image
Oh I also got some jiggle mel script from highend3d.com...haven't used it though.

Any input (preferably a simple tutorial, *hint hint* user added image ) would be appreciated

# 2 05-02-2003 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
not entirely sure, but you could paint jiggle weights like you would paint skinning weights, tho i dnt no much about this

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 06-02-2003 , 12:36 AM
Simply Maya OG
Ive played around alittle with the jiggle deformers. What I did was select the verticies you want to jiggle, then add the deformer to it. Then animate it, and just go from there. Thats what I did, but I could be wrong. Just mess around with it.

# 4 06-02-2003 , 02:14 AM
Ok. I got an example if you want to see what I'm going for.

I looked up 'jiggle deformer' and I found sights regarding some game called Dead or Alive, and I checked out the videos. Basically, what they did for the...female bosom jiggle is what I'm trying to do, but not just that area, other parts included.

Thanks

# 5 06-02-2003 , 06:59 AM
I am glad this topic came up... I've not played around with the jiggle deformer. What exactly does it do for animating?

I guess, I always figured it worked like clusters. Where you create controls and move... keyframe.. move more.... keyframe.

Does the jiggle deformer make it any easier to created a fluid motion of fat pockets in the body. If anyone has samples of this deformer working properly please post a link. I would like to learn more about it.

# 6 06-02-2003 , 01:06 PM
Same here :chuckle:

All I'm trying to do really is to get fat to move realistically, whether it be bellies, breasts, fat thighs, whatever without needing to find someone who has gotten a BVH of moving fat...ew.

# 7 06-02-2003 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
Well I never used the Jiggle deformer, but my preffered method is to create a wrap deformer or lattice around the area to be affected, and then make that a soft body with goals. It's probably more work but you get alot more control when you're working with particles.

Steven C.
# 8 06-02-2003 , 07:25 PM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 15-02-2003 , 03:46 AM
Hmm...that looks like it might help...

But does anyone understand what I'm getting at? I tried out games like Soul Caliber and Dead or Alive 3 to try to get some ideas, and those seem to be the best examples.

# 10 28-02-2003 , 09:07 AM
Hmm, tried using skeleton, doesn't work too well (not to mention the skeleton got really complicated)