Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-07-2003 , 03:53 AM
Subscriber

book : Learning Maya | Rendering

has anyone read this book? I hear its good. Does it cover the hypershade component in-depth? Thanks.

Tom

# 2 06-07-2003 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber
what exactly in hypershade you want to be covered? if you know how to create nodes and connect them, that is all you need to know about hypershade. or you want to know how to set up each render node?

if you want some self made shaders - it is better (if you can afford the time) to try it yourself. you will not learn how to create effects when you only download shading networks.

learning form examples might help, but nothing beats the good feel when you archived something on your own. your own experience is priceless - learning other ppls workflow might not suit your individual needs ...

# 3 06-07-2003 , 05:24 PM
Subscriber

To BabyDuck:

Like you said, I want to learn how to construct my own shaders. Glass, crystals, mirrors, metals, marble and more. I also want to know why I am doing each step in the tutorial. I know A|W sells a DVD that does this(From what I hear) so I will buy that eventually. I just want to know if that book shows the reader how to make interesting shaders, and/or some theory. I am getting frustrated with "intro" information since it doesnt show the depth of hypershade. After much digging on the internet I found a turorial that shows how to make a velvet shader. It showed me some things I never saw before. But it also showed me how complex hypershade can be. I also didnt fully understand WHY I did some of the steps required. I am just wondering if Learning Maya| Rendering has some useful indepth tutorials AND theory about hypershade.( I assume the book covers lighting, which is my primary goal at the moment.) Have you read the book? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks user added image

# 4 18-07-2003 , 09:44 AM
I ordered it these days ... I'll let you know user added image

# 5 13-08-2003 , 05:28 PM
hey what's up... yeah i've purchased that book last year... it's definitely informative. I know the first two chapters

# 6 13-08-2003 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
peterTheHero, where did you order it? I want the new one for maya 5. Thanks.

# 7 13-08-2003 , 05:33 PM
sorry.. accidently was in a hurry to respond and hit quick reply too quickly. Hm.. yeah.. this book is definitely great. There's a chapter about textures, and it really doesn't tell you why you do this or why you do that. That's the onlything i really didnt like. It jumps from a simply texturing of a helmet then into somthing really complex. I know when i was going from 3d max to maya, it was hard for me to understand it. But besides that the lighting and shadows chapter are extremely great.

# 8 13-08-2003 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
When you say "textures" , do you mean procedural textures or bitmap textures? Does the book contain any tutorials on how to make shaders using the hypergraph? Shaders like metal or anything else that might be interesting? I definitely want the book just to learn how to do lighting...Ive been using maya for 2 months and I still dont know how to do photorealistic lighting. Thanks for all the input.

# 9 04-09-2003 , 10:34 PM
the best way to learn procedural textures is just to mess around in hypershade, maybe use the online tutorial or two. but the best way to do it is just to make a primitive(sphere, cube, etc) and right click it. assign a new material and just play around with all the attributes and pereodically render at low quality just to see what happens. trust me, it's the best wayuser added image