Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-09-2003 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber

September Challenge - Sporktine - Noob

Aight, I'm going to do the environment, considering i'm looking for work as an environment modeler / designer! I was looking for something to do with myself before i take classes next month and this is it! I think the other reason I chose this project is because the concept art is so damn fresh. I checked out his site and that studio is lucky to have that kid. Couple him with some good texturers and modelers and you have some sweet output.

I almost went for robots, but since it won't help me get the job I want, here goes... wireframe soon.

Spork Spork Spork!

# 2 06-09-2003 , 04:47 AM
The Maya Mountain
Looking forward to it! user added image

# 3 06-09-2003 , 08:08 PM
Subscriber
Ya-haw! Another contestant. Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

# 4 08-09-2003 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber

first update

Ok, here is a pic of the beginning of the model, since i'm a noob, i'm going to start asking loads of q's user added image

first, i modeled the building cylinder separately and am working on the strut like things that go around the outside, separately. my plan is to detail about 1/4 of the whole cylinder, then duplicate with rotation to get the rest of it, combine it, then texture it. my first question is if there is a good method for attaching this "strut" to the cylinder. i'm experimenting at this point, so any advice would be welcome.

i looked at the ouput of "combine" but i would rather have exatly connected lines and vertices. my first instinct is "cut polygon" but i'm not 100% sure.

Attached Images
# 5 08-09-2003 , 11:08 PM
Well you could do a boolean to join them together. But I wouldnt.

For low poly modelling (which this challenge focuses on wome what), booleans tend to give you a messy mesh to carry on with. I would delete the hidden faces on the strut, the ones that are hidden inside the cylinder, and then just use poly combine.

# 6 08-09-2003 , 11:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
Or just leave them seperate. I would do as Icarus suggests and delete faces that are not visible.

# 7 08-09-2003 , 11:33 PM
Subscriber
i'll just do a little strategic deleting and combine them then. one question about combine... if i texture an object, then combine it with another object, will the uv map for the first object stay the same?

# 8 09-09-2003 , 12:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
yep

# 9 11-09-2003 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
so here we go. i'll post a new pic in a sec. man, this is almost theraputic. do you remember that kid that had all the gi joe battle sets in your neighborhood? i do. i hated that little punk. in any case, this is like getting to make your own. i'm having a blast. so... here is the next pic, next post...

i'm thinking i'm going to have a lot of trouble texturing this beast, considering the number of strange projections lying around. the main tower in particular is going to have a very strange automatic projection. if anyone wants to give me some tips on texturing, i'd love to hear it.

# 10 11-09-2003 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber
here is the next progress pic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 11-09-2003 , 11:43 AM
Subscriber
Nice progress so far. Keep going!