Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 22-12-2004 , 03:45 AM
Technical Director
You too mate!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 17 22-12-2004 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
the mouth area is killing me coz i wana model kinda closed but not ..so u can have the inner part maybe i should open it up a bit then once its attached pull some hulls ..ugh user added image

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 18 22-12-2004 , 05:28 AM
Technical Director
Why are you putting yourself through all this pain? Make it in polys! Then convert to sub-ds!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 19 22-12-2004 , 05:42 AM
Subscriber
ughh...thats the problem it has to be patched..otherwise i wont get the job user added image if ever

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 20 22-12-2004 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
ok my efforts are pating off at least i got it to birail nicely with an inner mouth.at this point if i can do the eyes now properly i think attaching and detaching should be a pieace of cake then of course sculpting details...
cant wait to finish it.

Attached Thumbnails

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 21 22-12-2004 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
:bored:

Attached Thumbnails

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 22 22-12-2004 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
W0w thats quite amazing for patch modeling user added image Nice to see sombody finally modelling Brando, he be so c00l :p
Hang in there and dont give up!

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 23 25-12-2004 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber

Merry xmas

Merry Xmas,.. to everyone..ugh just had a nu baby in the familyuser added image

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 24 26-12-2004 , 11:48 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Anita
Merry Christmas too. A bit of advice on the mouth, model it open slightly it will be alot easier, then once you are happy then close it using a blendshape, and if you dont need the shape delete the history and it will stay shut.

_J

# 25 26-12-2004 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Merry X-Mas and grats on the baby

If you don't mind me asking, why does it have to be en polys? You can get the exact same result from using sub-d's, and IMO they are a lot easier to handle... Besides, you can change the levels of a sub-d object and thereby adding detail and still keep a low polycount...

Other than that, this is probably one of the best attempt at a nurbs face I've ever seen so far... :tup:

# 26 26-12-2004 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by blomkaal
Merry X-Mas and grats on the baby
You can get the exact same result from using sub-d's, and IMO they are a lot easier to handle... Besides, you can change the levels of a sub-d object and thereby adding detail and still keep a low polycount...

subDs in maya are not easy to handle for anything.

and by adding levels to the subD object you are in turn adding polys.
this is not visible on the mesh, but thats just by adding more polys the subD can be subdivided.

a subD displayed at level 3 is a poly smooth 2x
and increasing the levels only increases the poly count.

# 27 26-12-2004 , 09:50 PM
Dudes

It has to be done in patches as Anita is going for a job. Sub D are easy to handle its just a type of algorythm applied to polys at base level but I would advise against level edits without a doubt unless you are keeping the model as a subD surface once its finished. I would just cut in the necessary details at base level then jus go back and forth between SD and Poly til you're satisfied then convert, I usually convert at Level 1 over Division of 2.

Happy New year
_J

# 28 26-12-2004 , 10:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jango
Dudes

It has to be done in patches as Anita is going for a job. Sub D are easy to handle its just a type of algorythm applied to polys at base level but I would advise against level edits without a doubt unless you are keeping the model as a subD surface once its finished. I would just cut in the necessary details at base level then jus go back and forth between SD and Poly til you're satisfied then convert, I usually convert at Level 1 over Division of 2.

Happy New year
_J

i'm nt talking about anita's gig, just clarifing that subD in maya are not the best thing to work with.

type "Subdivision Surfaces limitations" in the help docs to see what i mean, or in the MR docs to see MR's limitation with subDs in maya.
i'd avoid patch modeling in every way, as it is non-intuitive and a slow process, and it too is difficult to handle on the basis of animation, rigging or texturing. and subD or poly can give similar results if modeled well enough. but a job's a job.
good luck with it.
user added image

# 29 26-12-2004 , 10:44 PM
Indeed, I understood every word of what you meant, just making clear as I have explained SDs a thousand times over to quite a few people, I've worked with SD at work on a daily basis for the last four years, accept no substitute!!! But yeah the MR stuff is a bit of a pain, but we end up using polys on finals anyway so no worries.

Patch modelling is a real bummer to do these days especially now subs are kind of the norm now. Theres one advantage to it though (patch modelling), if you do it right without too much fuss, your edge flow will be pretty much bang on.

Hey Vlad whats your job by the way, always wanted to ask

_J

# 30 27-12-2004 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
thankx jango..ugh i had to spend xmas at the hospital the baby came a bit early ..i mean my sister in laws..and since none of our parents are here i pretty much needed to help..eventhough all i could think off is brando..coz before i left i was kinda finding it tricky to sculpt on the surfece some details and i found that weird becose on angelina which was in poly it was pretty easy..
thankx blom too.and yeah i guess u got ur answer for the sbd part....after brando i bought an alias book where theres a car tut modeled in subd ..i mean its a basic one but still id like to give it a try.
thankx vlad...well now lets go back to this again.Gosh! too many stuff going on ..i love xmas and babys but i sure need to get this done ..so working now..chears!

Alpha Gamma Sygma.